ckf

Official SledNH weather thread

Just cleaned about 7 inches off the driveway. Pretty heavy stuff,not the cotton that fell the last storm. Perfect for sled trails.

5 hours ago, ckf said:

On my way south I only met 2 trailers heading north.

I was one of them :)

:yahoo:

There was a mass exodus headed south as we were coming north, but there are still a lot of sledders in The Burg tonight.

What better place to ride out a Blizzard?

Edited by Old Thumper

28 minutes ago, Old Thumper said:

I was one of them :)

:yahoo:

There was a mass exodus headed south as we were coming north, but there are still a lot of sledders in The Burg tonight.

What better place to ride out a Blizzard?

It was good to see rideable snow in Colebrook :good:

Not quite the storm they got us all worked up about.  But it will be good for the trails everywhere.  It was a continuous, steady snowfall.  Kids could of gone to school today.

19 minutes ago, CATRESERVE said:

Not quite the storm they got us all worked up about.  But it will be good for the trails everywhere.  It was a continuous, steady snowfall.  Kids could of gone to school today.

From these early NWS reports it looks like Ossipee and a place 2 miles WSW (Route 16?) of Eliot, Maine won the NH jackpot with 14". 
As late as 5:30am today the NWS was still calling for 10"-14" of snow to fall on Monday. The big finish didn't happen.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

...BELKNAP COUNTY...
   MEREDITH               8.9   705 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   SANBORNTON             7.9   814 AM  2/13  0.74 INCHES LIQUID

...CARROLL COUNTY...
   OSSIPEE               14.0   512 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   NORTH CONWAY          13.3   631 AM  2/13  NWS EMPLOYEE
   1 N MADISON           12.0   355 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WOLFEBORO BAY          9.5   834 AM  2/13  0.79 INCHES LIQUID
   4 ESE CENTER HARBOR    7.0   210 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER

...CHESHIRE COUNTY...
   WEST SWANZEY           9.0   405 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   WINCHESTER             6.0   822 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   N SWANZEY              5.0   409 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA

...COOS COUNTY...
   1 SE LANCASTER         2.5   501 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER

...GRAFTON COUNTY...
   1 NNW BRISTOL          9.0   700 AM  2/13  0.80 INCHES LIQUID
   ORFORD                 7.2   619 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA

...HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY...
   MILFORD               10.0   821 AM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   3 SSW NORTH BROOKLIN   9.8   815 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   4 SSE HUDSON           9.6   729 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 NNW MERRIMACK        8.8   732 AM  2/13  EMERGENCY MNGR
   HUDSON                 8.7   535 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   NASHUA                 8.6   659 AM  2/13  COOP

...MERRIMACK COUNTY...
   PENACOOK               8.1   742 AM  2/13  0.81 INCHES LIQUID.

...ROCKINGHAM COUNTY...
   2 NE KINGSTON         12.1   758 AM  2/13  1.09 INCHES LIQUID
   WEST HAMPSTEAD        11.7   751 AM  2/13  COOP
   GREENLAND             11.2   711 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   DEERFIELD             10.0   811 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   2 WSW NORTH HAMPTON    8.0   822 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER

...STRAFFORD COUNTY...
   2 WNW ELIOT           14.0   637 AM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   LEE                    9.0   731 AM  2/13  NWS EMPLOYEE

Over the past week we have gone from spotty coverage on the lawn to well over 2 feet on the ground. It's been a quite a improvement.

Good snowfall map here.

The map shows a band of deeper snow that extended from the seacoast north following the Maine/NH line, with Maine getting the much bigger share. The NWS folks describe that sort of thing as a Norlund trough, so you might want to add a Norlund to your wish list.

With temps is the low to mid 40's yesterday and today, there is a lot of melting going on in northern NH / VT. Fortunately we had a lot of snow before the warmup. Still over 2 feet on my snow stake.

1.jpg

62 here in RI today, this sucks!

all the snow we got last weekend is now gone 

About 50 today in Concord,tomorrow is supposed to be colder so the Presidants Day ride will go as planned,but that may well be it.

Balmy mid 50s this weekend.I'm headed to Florida next week. I'll be lucky to get another ride in this season. May have to travel north to do so. I guess one ride for the season was better than none.

Edited by Bilbo

What the......?  Another thaw, big one too. Lost 3/4 of snow in one day in southern.  Northern might be ok unitl this weekends predicted rain.  The Coos area plowed trail connectors will be on dirt.   

Saturday was awesome riding all over coos....but pretty much bumpy everywhere from the get go.  ouch.

After the warm weather the past few days I driveway is like a skating rink now that everything has frozen back up.

Another thing working against us is the stronger sun this time of year. Even though today's high here was 32°, it felt much warmer than that if you were in the sun and out of the wind.

I am so sick of this up and down weather crap. What ever happened to old fashioned winters that stick ?  

Edited by Saluda

Unfortunately I've got that temperature beat.

Well, there aren't too many sure things in life, so I won't call a close on the sledding in southern NH, but it may be time to think about alternate strategies at least until next Thursday. Yesterday and today were like a nice May day, and the snow is going fast. For now, we have a flood watch: Exceptionally warm temperatures through Saturday will generate significant melting of snowpack. This melting will result in rising levels on area rivers and streams. Additionally, a strong cold front will move across the region Saturday locally heavy rainfall with up to an inch possible in some locations.

Tonight: Areas of dense fog. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 45. South wind around 5 mph.
Saturday: Showers likely, mainly after 5pm. Areas of dense fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Saturday Night: Showers, mainly before 1am. Low around 31. Southeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 25. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 50.
Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.
Tuesday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Partly sunny, with a high near 47.
Tuesday Night: A 40 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32.
Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
Wednesday Night: A 50 percent chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.
Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 22.
Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36.

It's incredible that we went from almost 2 feet of snow and a perfect poker run last Saturday, to closed trails this Saturday....

I'm in Greenville maine and it hasn't got below freezing for 3 days at night. The snow depth BEFORE the warmup was 40 - 50" but now it's half.  There's still plenty to groom with but all those little pockets of water and runoffs are poking up everywhere. You can just imagine how bumpy the trails are after school vacation week and no grooming.

Are'nt we lucky as snow lovers to be seeing RECORD high temps.  February and 73* in Nashua yesterday?  73* ??  OMG.  Sadly, even north country has been in the 60's.

Instead of being out riding as normal on a Saturday in FEBRUARY, I'm at home on the internet.  wft.