ckf

Official SledNH weather thread

Well, we seem to have left winter behind for a while. Hard to imagine 24" of snow disappearing in a week, but there's only a bit of it left and it's 55 degrees and raining.

Edited by jhwentworth

I feel your pain! Bare ground in Pittsburg! Saw one set of sled tracks across Back Lake Wednesday, and open water today! Must have been an exciting rip!

pathfinder

16 hours ago, pathfinder said:

I feel your pain! Bare ground in Pittsburg! Saw one set of sled tracks across Back Lake Wednesday, and open water today! Must have been an exciting rip!

pathfinder

Since that storm a couple weeks ago I've seen sled tracks on the trail here through Loudon only once. Today I watched two sleds traveling north on the power line while trying to find enough snow. They stopped and turned around when they reached my place as  it's pretty much open ground.

Lots of open water, and the swampy areas will need a lot of cold weather to be passable. It will be a while before the C-15 Soucook River crossing will be possible, as the river is running strong.

I'd be curious to know how many people took a sled out on a "real" trail while the snow was here.

Well, it's Thanksgiving, and time to speculate about the upcoming sled season. That means guessing temperatures and snowfalls. In line with that plan here's the NWS guess for the next several days. In general the NWS says it's going to be colder than normal and that there are several low pressure systems moving through. That sounds promising.

It's especially promising for Coos County.

From the NWS 11/25/2021

Overall up north the potential exists for ~24-30 hour snowfall
totals of 6-10"...particularly in Coos county NH with a band of 3-5"
possible across much of northern Oxford/Franklin and central
Somerset counties.

Update: As of early Friday morning, the winter storm watch has been replaced with a winter weather advisory. 3"-6" of snow, with maybe more at the highest elevations.

Edited by jhwentworth

ICG    6

Don't  need snow .....Freeze  the swamps, lakes ............