ckf

Throwing in the towel

Recommended Posts

I'm officially throwing in the towel on the 2015/2016 snowmobile season :( Even if we do get snow at this point it is to little to late. The sun is getting stronger every day and unless there is already a deep snow pack of dense snow in place at this time of year it is just going to melt soon after it falls.  This will be the first year since I bought a leftover 1992 A/C Prowler in November of 1992 that I have not registered and ridden a snowmobile. I don't want to hear that I should register anyways just to support the system. Over the years I have more than paid my dues to the sport and don't feel bad about not registering for the first time in 22 years. Hopefully next year the snow is deep throughout New Hampshire and Vermont from December until April :drinks:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you John. Pretty frustrating but it's just how things go. Mother Nature will probably give is one last nut kick with a few storms in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been a very frustrating "winter" never registered this year. We were hoping that by now there would be some snow, looks like it is a 'wait til next year" season. So sad :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here... Bought the new to me sled, it never left the yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

x2 John.     no reg, no club, no snow.       The sled is parked in the garage, facing out.. Just incase we get one more storm to buzz around the yard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I registered four sleds,  of which three have ridden Maine trails and one hasnt touched anything but our snow covered pond.  It's a four stroke and I'm debating if I have to change the oil for the storage season or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep-  I bought two new 2016 blizzard 800. Got them registered and insured as early as possible being excited about the season. Sleds never made it out of the trailer. I just got done summerizing them for the long summers sleep. What a disappointment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having SERIOUS reservations about our season  by the later part of DECEMBER, (the farming weatherman in me) I registered one sled and drove it 3.8 miles on my own property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold my sleds and trailer last year, decided to take a year off to decide when/whether I will jump back in or do I get myself a side x side atv....still leaning towards trying the atv world for a bit. Nothing to register and didn't join a club as I can't see a third of the money going to the NHSA as it is being currently run. Will probably pony up and just make a cash donation to a club sometime in the next week or so...but agree with you John, this season is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rivercat said:

I was having SERIOUS reservations about our season  by the later part of DECEMBER, (the farming weatherman in me) I registered one sled and drove it 3.8 miles on my own property.

Wait, what? You did not register all of your sleds before Dec. 1st???  ;)

Edited by snorander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not registered this year and it looks like I probably wont. First time I have ever done that. typically I am able to get a good weekend in up north. we had a house scheduled for this weekend that we just cancelled. Last weekend of February is typically the best bet even in a low snow year. NOT THIS YEAR... ughh. 

I did join my town club at one point (mostly because I thought we were close to having ride-able conditions) but we ended up getting rain.. and more rain... and more rain. 

I was planning on buying a new sled either this year or for next year. Happy i didn't and highly debating reallocating that money for a toy i can actually use.

In the past 24 months (including last winters very good winter) i have gotten maybe 4 months of use out of the sled....

WASTE OF MONEY.

I wont sell it though. Ill keep my 10 year old sled a little longer. 

Someone will probably say... yeah yeah but you can drive and find snow if your truly die hard. Well i guess im not. I dont find driving 3-4 hours for marginal conditions to be worth it. I also dont feel like driving 8 hours to ride in canada worth it, especially since I work a job that doesnt not give a lot of paid time off. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was posted today from the "other" forum it was taken today in Pittsburg the original poster said everything north is groomed! I assume north of First Conn. lake.

today.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rock On said:

This was posted today from the "other" forum it was taken today in Pittsburg the original poster said everything north is groomed! I assume north of First Conn. lake.

today.jpg

Yes, but for how long? Heavy rain is expected by midweek. That's pretty much the way it's been all year, just start to look like things are turning around, then it warms up and rains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are heading to Pittsburg Monday for a week. If i can ride ok, if not well that's the way it is. I'm not going to cancel, it's still better than being at work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we get more snow,I'll ride,if not that's just more money saved for a bigger crate motor for the old Trans Am...

Edited by nhgator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How come the weather guessers can always predict rain and hit the nail on the head, but are always off when it is snow??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I registered one sled and put zero miles on it.  Between the three antique plates I rode about 5 miles.  If the state saw a lack in vehicle registrations would they stop plowing and fixing pot holes on the roads?  It is sad to hear that groomer costs will not be reimbursed for the rest of the year.  It is owed to us to have the trails groomed after whatever snow we get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, snorander said:

Wait, what? You did not register all of your sleds before Dec. 1st???  ;)

 Registered Just my daily "driver" and the stickers are not on yet,,,,,,, the second sled would have been for company,,, which never came close to using,,

,  BUT thanks for this post as it brought one more angle to "the equation" ,,,,,  its all on the simmer mode at this point,,,, "SOMEDAY" our system will have to be revisited and changes will occur,,,, nothing remains the same forever,,,  

One piece of the revelation is,,,,, would my second $64 have changed  the season for F&G and BOT ?  NO!  

SOMETHING has to insure a reasonable percentage of the nearly 30,000 unregistered sleds do not slip thru  the "cracks" every time we have a bad season,,,,,,  we can NOT continue business as usual  

20012 was a hard slap across the sports face,,,, NOTHING changed as it was chocked up to a "bum year" ,,,,,,,, now we get it again and this is a CROWBAR in the forehead,,,,, what are we going to call it now,,,  is it time to DO SOMETHING THIS TIME?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Premixer said:

I registered one sled and put zero miles on it.  Between the three antique plates I rode about 5 miles.  If the state saw a lack in vehicle registrations would they stop plowing and fixing pot holes on the roads?  It is sad to hear that groomer costs will not be reimbursed for the rest of the year.  It is owed to us to have the trails groomed after whatever snow we get.

As for not plowing public roads or fixing potholes, I believe that the state sees public roads as an essential service that must be maintained at a certain minimum level, but snowmobile trails are not viewed in the same way.Our trails will be maintained until the dedicated funds run out.

 

On February 19'th, in their Friday trail report,  the BOT released a clarification of their earlier statement to the clubs.

February 19, 2016     
Despite the difficult snow conditions this winter, and reports on the news last evening, there is still some riding available in New Hampshire.  It is limited at this time, but possible snows this weekend and next week may be enough for some additional trails to reopen.

The Bureau of Trails did notify clubs to monitor their trail conditions and groom only when conditions truly warrant it.  We also notified clubs that with the current registration levels we may be forced to set a date at which reimbursable grooming would end, but clubs are still grooming in some areas and can continue to perform limited grooming when snow conditions improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rivercat said:

 Registered Just my daily "driver" and the stickers are not on yet,,,,,,, the second sled would have been for company,,, which never came close to using,,

,  BUT thanks for this post as it brought one more angle to "the equation" ,,,,,  its all on the simmer mode at this point,,,, "SOMEDAY" our system will have to be revisited and changes will occur,,,, nothing remains the same forever,,,  

One piece of the revelation is,,,,, would my second $64 have changed  the season for F&G and BOT ?  NO!  

SOMETHING has to insure a reasonable percentage of the nearly 30,000 unregistered sleds do not slip thru  the "cracks" every time we have a bad season,,,,,,  we can NOT continue business as usual  

20012 was a hard slap across the sports face,,,, NOTHING changed as it was chocked up to a "bum year" ,,,,,,,, now we get it again and this is a CROWBAR in the forehead,,,,, what are we going to call it now,,,  is it time to DO SOMETHING THIS TIME?

 

Your NHSA colleagues will be proud Dave.

Do as I plead, not as I do.

:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Registered both of mine, and rode them for a long weekend reciprocal weekend in Maine at the end of January. Was probably the best weekend of the season, who knew? Looks like it will be 0 miles in NH for the season. 

 

And - speaking of throwing in the towel, looks like the Christmas lights are gone. Probably for the best, I always try to make sure mine are down by Easter. Maybe the things jinxed us, might be best not to put them up next year...   :banghead:

 

 

Edited by PolarisCobra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now