Sign in to follow this  
ckf

Off Topic / Anyone here in to Drones

8 hours ago, ckf said:

yes, those things are fast, maybe even to fast for an old man like me, lol. they are flown with goggles, yes?

Yes.

That's what I love about Vermont....there's always music in the air!

Guess I have to chime in on this thread.  Have a Vortex 285 race set up and two TBRC's.  A 60 and just finished building a reflex 38 which I have to maiden soon. 

3 minutes ago, NHrider said:

Guess I have to chime in on this thread.  Have a Vortex 285 race set up and two TBRC's.  A 60 and just finished building a reflex 38 which I have to maiden soon. 

How do you like the Vortex 285? I am thinking about getting the 250 pro.

I've never tried one, I know if I did I would want one and I've already got more hobbies than I can support. Some great views and videos.

On 2/8/2016 at 9:08 PM, dirt dummy said:

How do you like the Vortex 285? I am thinking about getting the 250 pro.

Actually I love it... the damn thing is still too fast for me though.   Only running it on 3S power and I can go up to 4S.     I also have to get better in Acro mode... still playing it safe in Angle mode.    

On 2/9/2016 at 10:39 PM, Saluda said:

I've never tried one, I know if I did I would want one and I've already got more hobbies than I can support. Some great views and videos.

They are a lot of fun, Mike. You would have a ball with one at the lake in the summer :good:

On 2/9/2016 at 9:32 AM, NHrider said:

Saluda,

Just don't,  money disappears too quickly.   LOL.   Once you try FPV... its all over.

I'm trying to avoid going with a FPV setup for that very reason. LOL

Here's a photo I took today of the village of Island Pond, VT.

2016_02_10_IP.thumb.jpg.2dc5fac0919634e1

10 hours ago, ckf said:

They are a lot of fun, Mike. You would have a ball with one at the lake in the summer :good:

I'm trying to avoid going with a FPV setup for that very reason. LOL

Excellent shot John.

10 hours ago, dirt dummy said:

Excellent shot John.

Thanks Don :drinks: It was another personal best for me at 5895 feet. I could have gone further because I still had good radio signal, but that's where I lost video feed.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:37 PM, ckf said:

Time will tell.

Thought the folks here that enjoy flying drones would like this story.

And, for a recent local NH story that serves as a sort of worst-case example of drone management, check this out.

Edited by jhwentworth

10 hours ago, jhwentworth said:

Thought the folks here that enjoy flying drones would like this story.

And, for a recent local NH story that serves as a sort of worst-case example of drone management, check this out.

The first story states the FAA has set a 400' limit they suggest there is no law in effect. The second story confirms my theory that you can't fix stupid. In the long run stupid people will be the end of drones.

Edited by dirt dummy
I can't spell! lol

Well I got a bonus at work a few weeks ago and my Wife said to use the money to go rent a place up North for sledding. So I tell her I would rather spend it on a drone. Was thinking of a RC truck type toy to play in the yard with but still had in my mind a drone. This was because of seeing all the videos posted here on SledNH plus Nigel's Facebook page My Drone Friends. My Wife said she said to do what ever I wanted with it ... so I bought a drone and as usual I jump in with both feet. I thought it would just be unpack it and go out and play .... well IMHO to this old fart .... it is more complicated than I thought. I probably should have gotten a more cheaper one that might have been that way. But nooooooo .... Skully goes and gets a DJI Mavic Pro ... LOL .... After unboxing it and reading online and watch more YouTube videos about first time use I am still over whelmed :-( 

I did manage to get all the firmware updated and even bought a mount to use my full size Ipad with it. Registered with the FAA and set the contoller to beginner mode which limits it to a 100 foot height and radius from the controller. Going to try my first time flight this afternoon if it aint to windy.

Rob ...

Edited by skully

Haaa ... haaaa .... no but alot of pine trees that would love to eat a drone. Now no laughing at my video .... it is my first time. Decided to try it from my driveway. Well ... I am hooked ! It was a frigging BLAST !

41 minutes ago, skully said:

Haaa ... haaaa .... no but alot of pine trees that would love to eat a drone. Now no laughing at my video .... it is my first time. Decided to try it from my driveway. Well ... I am hooked ! It was a frigging BLAST !

It gets easier after each flight. Try to find a big open park, or beach to practice at. It's much easier when you don't have to worry about flying in to trees.

Wow what fun you guys are having!  Anyway to fire the drone up and say follow me on my sled with a GPS tracker.  How awesome would that be!