jhwentworth

Gourmet Trailside Dining

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 7:43 AM, jhwentworth said:

Both Johnson's Restaurants, in New Durham and Northwood on Route 4, are very good. I've wanted to try the Poor People's Pub but haven't made it yet.

How would I reach the New Durham Johnson's and the Poor People's Pub by sled?

New Durham Johnson's is on the Powder Mill system, you can get there from Alton Bay really easily.

I'm seeing a lot of people here talking about places without any directions on how to get there on a sled. Let me tell you, if you're a through rider , knowing that Sid's is a great restaurant isn't very helpful. What sled trail is Sid's on, is there parking, when are they open, those are the questions. Not everybody is a local.

On 1/20/2016 at 5:31 PM, ckf said:

Yes, on C15 near the junction of C19 & 15 in West Ossipee. They are very snowmobile friendly. In fact they have a free dinner for the OVSC and SOS groomer operators every fall.

The Yankee Smoke House is good and they love snowmobilers.

We also like the Pittsburg Ridge Runners warming hut. Bob and Sue do a great job.

12 hours ago, Saluda said:

The Yankee Smoke House is good and they love snowmobilers.

We also like the Pittsburg Ridge Runners warming hut. Bob and Sue do a great job.

The Pizza Barn is always a good place for lunch in West Ossipee as long as Corridor 19 has enough snow to cover the rail road tracks.

Cindy's diner just reopened on the Seven Lakes system. She used to be in Wakefield, now she's near their clubhouse. Awesome breakfast and lunch.

4-24-11  Did 80 miles out of east inlet that day

Youngs store rib eye and potatos on Snowfields cabins charcoal grill,Bacardi select with beer chasers.Good way to end a great day!

Hope we are still riding this time next year!

h4-24-2011 016.JPG4-24-2011 018.JPGSnowfield cabins 4-24-2011 014.JPG

Oh,we did have to trailer to east inlet,tough sleddin out of snowfields.So I guess it wasnt trailside.4-24-2011 013.JPG

Edited by sno-dust

Going to try something here. As mentioned in the posts above, although the names of the restaurants are helpful, its hard to tell if they are trail accessible, and where they are in some cases. This might be a good summer project. 

I made a list in an excel file that includes the name of the place, town, trail its on (If I could figure it out), and some notes. Since it would be tricky for others to open, edit, and repost, all while keeping track if the file, I created a space here:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/kwBhY

I can access it no problem, not sure if it will ask for a password if you try.If it does, use SledNH2016. You should be able to open the file, edit it, and save it right where it is. 

Have a look. Fix or add to what I have here, add your favorite place. Take the time to do a little research if you need to, give us at least a trail number. If the resturant doesn't have trail access, don't bother adding it. 

As the fall comes around, maybe we can put it as a sticky someplace, so its easy to find. 

Since most of my trips consist of a starting place, a spot fo lunch, and back to the starting place (by a different route if feasible), this will be a great trip planning tool for next winter, and the riding should be great. Mother Nature owes us that much. 

West Lake is now open under new owners in Wolfeboro. It now features a sushi bar along with the fantastic Chinese meals it had before. I'm not sure if it will be open during the winter, as the previous owners closed for the season, but if is, it's easy access on trail C-26 along the west side of lake Wentworth, heading into Wolfeboro. There is a sign for it on the trail.  I had lunch there Monday, and it was great.

Big fan of Johnson's, as well. When we go to Pittsburg, we love the Rainbow Grill @ Tall Timber on Back Lake, as well as Happy Corner next to Young's Store. For Pizza, Scorpios in Lancaster on Rt. 3. For a home cooked meal, Grandmas Kitchen on Rt.3 in Whitefield and also love the Spa in Stewartstown.

"  love the Spa in Stewartstown"

Haven't been there since Wendell and Susan Cross ran the place many years ago. Great to hear it's still up and going good.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, CATRESERVE said:

The Greenhouse for sure in Warren...great local atmosphere, great burgers and didn't realize they were moving.  Sunset Grill in Campton is good and don't forget all day breakfast from Holly at the Bridgewater store,  Baker River Clubhouse and Baker River grill Trailside ! And or course Chez Bruce Located anywhere in the Central NH area...REAL TRAILSIDE. As close as you can get to the trail! Shirts optional!

178.jpg

017.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:19 AM, CATRESERVE said:

The Greenhouse for sure in Warren...great local atmosphere, great burgers and didn't realize they were moving.  Sunset Grill in Campton is good and don't forget all day breakfast from Holly at the Bridgewater store,  Baker River Clubhouse and Baker River grill Trailside ! And or course Chez Bruce Located anywhere in the Central NH area...REAL TRAILSIDE. As close as you can get to the trail! Shirts optional!

178.jpg

017.JPG

Oh look Dinner and a show ...

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, jhwentworth said:

" Chez Bruce Located anywhere in the Central NH area...REAL TRAILSIDE "

Looks good, but finding Chez Bruce might be a larger task than I'm up for. I spent too much time looking for the on-the-trail hot dog stand on the Suncook Valley club trails.

Both Hot Dog stands have been gone for years. Dallas Dogs ( the food truck) has been gone for at least 3 And Tiedes  Well over 5. Both johnsons are good. And Very Snowmobile Friendly.

On 1/21/2016 at 8:38 PM, rivercat said:

If it is a bit later in the day,,,, just down the trail in Contoocook Village  Dimitries is great for subs, pizza  etc,,,,  located right at the Covered bridge, easy parking at both places! 

Ever heard the saying that we should try to "catch people doing something right"? The owner of Dimitri's Pizza was featured in a story in today's Concord Monitor. He, his family, and volunteers delivered 120 Thanksgiving meals to local people who need them. They started 4 years ago after hearing about a similar operation in Concord by the folks who run the Windmill Restaurant. A rare example of good news traveling fast.

My post doesn't have much to do with sledding, but I did want to pass on some good news. Finding good news in the newspaper is like finding the Hope Diamond down at the town landfill.

I'll just shift any blame for my off-topic post by noting that Rivercat brought up Dimitri's first, so take it up with him. After all, he's the County Director, not me.

Still, posting about sharing food on Thanksgiving Day does sound just about right, and there is a sledding connection because I've owned a couple sleds that were turkeys.

Edited by jhwentworth
poor spelling

On 11/6/2016 at 2:33 PM, slushpup said:

Oh look Dinner and a show ...

Guess I am famous.  Trail side cooking is the best.  Maybe get enough snow early one year I can cook a turkey on Thanksgiving trail side!  I think Christmas would be a better bet but not sure if the Wife would go for it...my Kids would though.

8 hours ago, jhwentworth said:

Ever heard the saying that we should try to "catch people doing something right"? The owner of Dimitri's Pizza was featured in a story in today's Concord Monitor. He, his family, and volunteers delivered 120 Thanksgiving meals to local people who need them. They started 4 years ago after hearing about a similar operation in Concord by the folks who run the Windmill Restaurant. A rare example of good news traveling fast.

My post doesn't have much to do with sledding, but I did want to pass on some good news. Finding good news in the newspaper is like finding the Hope Diamond down at the town landfill.

I'll just shift any blame for my off-topic post by noting that Rivercat brought up Dimitri's first, so take it up with him. After all, he's the County Director, not me.

Still, posting about sharing food on Thanksgiving Day does sound just about right, and there is a sledding connection because I've owned a couple sleds that were turkeys.

Hey wait a sec John,, I brought up Dimitri's in Contoocook as a great trail side dining spot,,,,,,  easy access,,,, park right in their drive,, just by the Covered bridge in the center of Town,,,, I and many others have ridden sleds there for a bite,,, Dimitri's has been a great supporter of the local clubs, and is one of 5 official sponsors of the new trail signs in the SnoMad  trail system  hopefully many will get to see and enjoy them!! !!! ,, 

Seeing John took this off topic I must say, I remember visiting Small Engine guy over in Milton at Mi Tee Joe's Campground one July , to say hi,,,, 

It was that year that it became my job to crank a 22 lb turkey , on a spit,,, over  hot coals,,,,,  open pit,,,, for the 20 or so people in our "corner" of the campground,,   now as if it doesn't seem hard enough,,,, 

The object is to get the person cranking too drunk to crank before the Turkey is done,,,  now if that isn't bad enough I am a third generation "tee totaller" and don't "normally DRINK ,,,,,,,,,

Now if that is not bad enough, the guy who invented the game brings a fully stocked bar to the camp ground,,,,,,,  and there is one more thing,,,,, its JULY  and HOT, and your hovering over a bed of HOT coals for 3-4 hours,,,,,  gets pretty hilarious,,,  but I prevailed and declared the turkey done before his popper rose,,,,  took him off the spit set him on the table to begin carving,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I turned away for just a moment to grab the knife, and when I looked back to the Turkey, his popper was up,,,, damn perfect drunk outside Turkey cooking if I don't say so myself!!   

On 6/16/2016 at 3:09 PM, PolarisCobra said:

Going to try something here. As mentioned in the posts above, although the names of the restaurants are helpful, its hard to tell if they are trail accessible, and where they are in some cases. This might be a good summer project. 

I made a list in an excel file that includes the name of the place, town, trail its on (If I could figure it out), and some notes. Since it would be tricky for others to open, edit, and repost, all while keeping track if the file, I created a space here:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/kwBhY

I can access it no problem, not sure if it will ask for a password if you try.If it does, use SledNH2016. You should be able to open the file, edit it, and save it right where it is. 

Have a look. Fix or add to what I have here, add your favorite place. Take the time to do a little research if you need to, give us at least a trail number. If the resturant doesn't have trail access, don't bother adding it. 

As the fall comes around, maybe we can put it as a sticky someplace, so its easy to find. 

Since most of my trips consist of a starting place, a spot fo lunch, and back to the starting place (by a different route if feasible), this will be a great trip planning tool for next winter, and the riding should be great. Mother Nature owes us that much. 

OK - It's December 1, there are signs that we are going to have some snow this year. Have a look at the message above, lets see if we can add some more options to the list. 

On 12/1/2016 at 2:48 PM, PolarisCobra said:

OK - It's December 1, there are signs that we are going to have some snow this year. Have a look at the message above, lets see if we can add some more options to the list. 

Unfortunately, we'll have to remove Calamity Jane's from the list :(

Just a friendly reminder, as sad as it is for all, we would like to let all of our customers know that we will be closing the doors for good here at Calamity Jane's as of December 23rd, 2016.

We want to encourage that anyone that has a gift certificate to please come in soon because once we close they will no longer be valid.

AND last but not least, THANK YOU to all of our customers over the years. We have so many memories that will never be replaceable but always cherished! We can't thank you enough! Everyone have a safe and warm Winter and stop by before we close if you can for some of our great food!

On 12/21/2016 at 10:50 PM, rossi46 said:

Unfortunately, we'll have to remove Calamity Jane's from the list :(

Just a friendly reminder, as sad as it is for all, we would like to let all of our customers know that we will be closing the doors for good here at Calamity Jane's as of December 23rd, 2016.

We want to encourage that anyone that has a gift certificate to please come in soon because once we close they will no longer be valid.

AND last but not least, THANK YOU to all of our customers over the years. We have so many memories that will never be replaceable but always cherished! We can't thank you enough! Everyone have a safe and warm Winter and stop by before we close if you can for some of our great food!

Eaten many meals there over the years, on sleds, atv's, and by vehicle.

On 1/21/2016 at 8:00 AM, dunphy11 said:

I agree with the greenhouse! They are moving up the hill on 25C . I`ve been watching them rehabbing a building up towards Lake Tarleton. Not sure if there will be trail access to there, but I sure do hope so.

Does anybody know if their new location (839 Lake Tarleton Road 25c) is accessible by trail?

On 1/4/2017 at 9:37 AM, rossi46 said:

Does anybody know if their new location (839 Lake Tarleton Road 25c) is accessible by trail?

I had communicated with them  and they say they are.  Have not ridden up there yet so don't know how to get there yet.