Sign in to follow this  
CATRESERVE

What did you do on Friday...I helped build a BRIDGE!!

A LONG story short.  The Fort Mountain Trailwinders in Epsom were devastated by the Mothers Day floods several years ago.  Leighton Brook....where the new bridge was built over... had continued problems with erosion, so the State of NH rebuilt the brook.  Not a big deal right?  WRONG. The existing bridge was going to be removed and not put back in place BECAUSE the "Engineered" plan/design was "going to allow recreational users to walk/ride thru the stream".  I had started on trying to work with the STATE since March of this year to come up with some kind of compromise that would benefit everyone....especially since there is a RSA that makes it illegal to drive thru water/streams etc.  It went back and forth and sideways to other agencies involved.  Finally after meetings and "other" we got an okay to build a bridge "at our expense".  That okay was late October.

So we did...at our expense and club funds(few donations)...we had to do something because this is a major North and South trail thru our part of the trail system.  People would be going everywhere out of the trail.  We started with installing the abutments for the bridge to sit on either side.  We delivered and staged 4-60 foot "I" beams  in November/December.  On January 2, 3 portable welders went to work for a full day welding cross bracing on the 4 beams.  Yesterday January 8, we set the steel structure over the stream, had lumber/materials delivered and decked/railed the bridge that 1 day.  Finished cleaning up the site a 5pm DONE except for earthen ramps.:drinks:

A very long day but a job well done by all!

It's not what the club can do for you...but what you can do for your club!  The work of few to benefit the MANY!

Bruce

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0461.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

2 hours ago, ckf said:

That's a lot of work for 1 day :good: How many volunteers helped?

The day we set the bridge:   about 4 people.  I was sore today!

Great job Bruce and gang!!!!!!!!!!  Such a long journey to get to the FINISH!!!!!!

Building the bridge in many ways is the EASY part,,,,, 

NOT EVER GIVING UP HOPE  OF SEEING IT FINISHED is the hard part,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Great pictures and bridge. 

Lke any section of trail you ride thru that  you had a hand in developing,,,,,,,, crossing that bridge will feel amazing EVERY time you set foot OR ski on it,,,,,  a feeling that cannot be replaced by ANY amount of money,,,,,,  

And NOW its time to name it,,,,,,,,   if your still looking for a name I will make the first two suggestions,,,,, "Nevergiveup Crossing" ,,,,,,," Dontquit Crossing" ,,,,,,, I kinda like the Dontquit Crossing better,,, kind of has a Native American ring to it,,,  can be taken so many ways,,,, 

any other suggestions guys ?????

Dave you are correct.  We talked about a name for the bridge at our club meeting the other night.  Several suggestions came up... but we will need an "appropriate name" considering what we went through to get it in place.  WE ARE TAKING SUGGESTIONS.... 

It sure felt good to walk across it when the tools were put away and we were done.  Hopefully tomorrow I can install the earthen approaches and WALK my excavator across the bridge to do the other side!

It took a lot of cooperation and planning from many individuals and businesses to make this bridge happen.

Forked tongue bridge, cooperation crossing, 2nd time crossing,  just to get your brains thinking.

New fund raiser idea...submit you ideas for the bridge name with your $5 donation/entrance fee per name and if we pick your name you get a thank you!!!!  Isn't that how it works these days (well maybe not even a thank you) 

NOW IT CAN SNOW!!!!

Wemadeit  crossing, "Onlywithgoodhelp Crossing", "Longtimecomming Crossing",  "Finallydone Crossing",  Washedaway Gap"," Nightmarsover Crossing"

counting my other 2 above my $40 is in the mail! 

A HUGE Thank You to every person and Business that had a hand in this great project!!

Edited by rivercat

I'm looking forward to checking out the new bridge. I think Trail 360 crosses Leighton Brook about 1-2 miles south of Bickfords, right?

I also want to see the work you guys did on the Kimball Trail this summer. Sounds like the off-season was productive for your club.

Yes the bridge is 1-2 miles south of Bickfords on 360 on the old rail bed toward Bear Brook SP.  You should see the water running in the brook today where the state wanted us to ride thru!  The Kimball trail section that was fixed was the Range Road in Epsom...Much safer and will be easier to groom with the large ledge outcroppings, boulders and washouts taken care of.  Please don't ask how many individuals were involved in trail work!  I am sure it is the same with most other clubs.

We are also going to have a trail to Hilltop Pizza on Rt 4 from the field behind Bickford's Sport toward my place and over.  It was getting cut today.  Found out about 1 trail closure so will have to find a reroute this weekend...never ending...just got to love it!

Somehow we always have a productive off-season!

By the way Dave...I will pick up your money at the County Meeting tomorrow night!:poke:

Edited by CATRESERVE
Dave's $$$$$'s

JOB COMPLETE...Finished the approaches and signed it up.  Bring on the snow...primary 360 is ready for business.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

On 1/12/2016 at 7:42 PM, CATRESERVE said:

Yes the bridge is 1-2 miles south of Bickfords on 360 on the old rail bed toward Bear Brook SP.  You should see the water running in the brook today where the state wanted us to ride thru!  The Kimball trail section that was fixed was the Range Road in Epsom...Much safer and will be easier to groom with the large ledge outcroppings, boulders and washouts taken care of.  Please don't ask how many individuals were involved in trail work!  I am sure it is the same with most other clubs.

We are also going to have a trail to Hilltop Pizza on Rt 4 from the field behind Bickford's Sport toward my place and over.  It was getting cut today.  Found out about 1 trail closure so will have to find a reroute this weekend...never ending...just got to love it!

Somehow we always have a productive off-season!

By the way Dave...I will pick up your money at the County Meeting tomorrow night!:poke:

Did you get the money, Bruce?

Tip of the cap to you for a job well done.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  Agreed... Bring on the snow! :snowfall:

15 minutes ago, Freedom Rider said:

Did you get the money, Bruce?

NO AND I DID ASK!!!   Dave is two cheap or should I say...looking for a good value in his $'s...wanted to trade some past due poinsettias from before the holidays instead.  Still looking for a name.  Should be Hell's Gate Crossing!  :poke:

How about "CHEEPSKATES PASS",,,,,:lol:,,,, hey i was willing to pay if you used one of my names,,,,,,,,,,, its not too late Bruce,,,, 

BTW the abutments look awsum,,,,,,, it is amazing how filling them changes to looks of EVERYTHING!!!!  GREAT JOB!!!!!