skully

OT .... Re roofing a house

Hi Guys,

Know some of you either do construction type of stuff

or might have an idea what this would cost.

I have a question for you. My roof needs to be

re shingled. It is just a plain rasied ranch. The roof

is about 1200 square feet total (26' wide x 42' long ) .

I got a quote from a guy that did a friends house.

It was for Certain Teed

shingles with the 6 feet of the roof having the water shield

stuff underneath. Also includes the ridge thing across the top

and stripping of the one layer of shingles and removal to

dump. Could you tell me what a decent cost to have some

one do all that. Just trying to find out if he gave me a good

price and not just ripping me off. Here is a picture of the house

( on left .... barn is on right )

Thanks ...

Rob ....

post-413-0-61999600-1441723377_thumb.jpg

Do it yourself !

Under $1,000 in material.

The pitch of the roof looks easy to deal with.

If you are roofing with factory seconds under $1000.00 maybe. You get what you pay for. Dumpster will cost $475.00. Shingles are $110.00 per square. Another $100.00 for starter, soldier, and caps along with ridge vent. Ice and weather will be about $75.00. As it is stated that is a 12 square roof, plan on $1970.00 for materials if you do it yourself. Don't forget to include compressor and nail gun rental, roof brackets, ladders, staging, and ladder brackets.

I measured from the edge of roof to the ridge cap and it was 14'

That is how I came up with the 1200 square feet.

Did not measure the pitch.

He gave me a price of $5,300 and that was fixing one or 2 spots

where the plywood has risen where 2 pieces meet at a few spots.

Thanks for your reply !

BTW ... He has been in bussiness 40 years and is insured and

not one of these fly by night operations.

Edited by skully

Call Dave at Pride Roofing 603-244-1372 this guy and his crew will strip, reshingle and clean up in one day!! Just had him do my roof and my neighbors did an awesome job, very clean I highly recommend him!!! Tell him Brian from Gorham recommended you! And he his a snowmobiler/atver..

Thanks for your reply !

Be very careful when it comes to licensed and insured. Mass. requires that you carry CSL license and HIC license to do construction trades in state. Ask for a certification of insurance naming you as additionally insured. Your homeowners will more than likely want a copy as well. Make sure it is spelled out what the job is as far as roofing. It is very hard and expensive to get coverage for roofing now a days. or general carpentry policy excludes any type of roofing or repairs. Make sure you have him pull your building permit as well. He will be required to give Building Official a copy of Workers Comp. Insurance as well as liability. His workers are required by law to have HIC license as well. Your contract must comply with HIC laws. They can be found at Att. Generals website.

Just a heads up from someone that does this for a living. The price is on the low side. Check their license history. Available form Dept. of Public Safety and Att. General. (two sites as there is two different licenses that come into play) Hope this helps.

Skully,,,,,,, consider STANDING SEAM metal,,,,,,, no nails or screws showing, snow slides off as it accumulates,,,,,,,, mine is 20 years old and looks like it was put on YESTERDAY!!! shingles suck,,,, I had them all nice and new , they lasted FOUR years, I called to put in a claim,,, a LAWYER answered the phone they had so many claims,,,, no removal in the warrantee,, no nailing on the new ones, no disposal,,,,,,,,,,,, just prorated on the product,,,,,,,,,,,, the standing seam goes right on top of your singles, so no stripping, no disposal, you will not replace the metal in yours or Lynne's lifetime,,,,, yep its more,, but what is frigging shoveling, worrying, worth??? do it ONCE and be done with it,,,,,,,,,,,, if you question the "beauty" go to NEW LONDON NH , 99% of the mansions are standing seam!!!

if you can afford a sled,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you can afford to COMPARE the prices!! good luck!

I sit having my breakfast as the snow falls,,, and I watch out my window and listen to the plop. plop. plop of the snow as it slides off,,,,, no roaring BOOM,,,,,,,, when the storm ends, my roof doesn't have one flake on it!

I have it on the north face of my barn and it is AMAZING,,, hope to do more of the farm roofs this fall,,,,,,,,,, I am looking at $30,000 for all I have to do,,,,,,

Edited by rivercat

Thanks for your reply !

I recently had my roof done, almost the same size as yours (house is 28x48) stripped 2 layers of shingles and hauled it all away, ice/water barrier. Had to fix 1 spot.

They were done in one day (about 8 hours). Price was pretty much the same.

Edit: I should mention that was for Certainteed shingles-lifetime warranty

Edited by Patriot

Be very careful when it comes to licensed and insured. Mass. requires that you carry CSL license and HIC license to do construction trades in state. Ask for a certification of insurance naming you as additionally insured. Your homeowners will more than likely want a copy as well. Make sure it is spelled out what the job is as far as roofing. It is very hard and expensive to get coverage for roofing now a days. or general carpentry policy excludes any type of roofing or repairs. Make sure you have him pull your building permit as well. He will be required to give Building Official a copy of Workers Comp. Insurance as well as liability. His workers are required by law to have HIC license as well. Your contract must comply with HIC laws. They can be found at Att. Generals website.

Just a heads up from someone that does this for a living. The price is on the low side. Check their license history. Available form Dept. of Public Safety and Att. General. (two sites as there is two different licenses that come into play) Hope this helps.

His location says Nashua so the bullshit of Mass. does not apply. I agree on checking insurance but Mass. hic is a scam from the state money grabbers. And the workers DO NOT require the same HIC bullshit, only the permit holder. Massachusetts takes money from all the contractors and has a really bad track record of going after or paying out on bad jobs. Just under $500 per square sounds about right and check prior customers for more information.

Thanks ...

Actually I do live in MA ( Pepperell ) I have Nashua listed only because most people

know where Nashua is and not my little hick town .... LOL ....

I got the guys name from a friend that had him do their farmers porch addition, back deck,

replaced all their windows on their north and south sides and the roof.

Rob ....

Edited by skully

My oldest friend's sister lives right next to the airport in Pepperell. If you are in Ma. we do have the HIC law and roofers have their own designation. This nanny state does everything in it's power to "keep us safe" in their words and all the while cashing in on it for their friends! I stay mostly in commercial jobs to stay away from their clutches. Now we have the "stretch codes" to deal with and we will pay deeply for the international code mandates for energy conservation. And also watch out if you need to repave your driveway, the EPA will have a say in that.

Ahh ... the old MX track is right across the street from the airport.

That is near the Hollis/Pepperell townline.

I am at the other end at the Townsend / Pepperell townline.

Rob ....

If you currently have only one layer, why would they strip the one layer, and not just add another layer of shingles?

I did my roof with Owens Corning fiberglass shingles in the 80's and they have held up very well.

Roof is 31 years old and has had roof shingles replaced

about 15 years ago. The ones on there niw look like crap

and there has been a few leaks since the last re shingle job.

Also there is 2 spots that I know need plywood repair.

So I want to see what the roof looks like after it is stripped.

Rob ....