Sled racing at NHMS in Loudon

The Loudon race track is considering a proposal by East Coast Snow Cross

to put on another Snow Bowl at the track. They did it back in 2010, and

it drew pretty good crowds. A track rep came to the Loudon selectmen's

meeting to get the town's blessing for a date in late January-early

February. They might have the racing in the track infield and use the

grandstands for spectators. Since the event was put on with

no problems in 2010, they'll probably get approval for 2016. Back in

2010, they had snocross races, plus the stunt show and drag races.

My only fear John is it comes with a "JINX" they did it and hauled and made snow for HUGE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We tried it a few years ago and HAULED snow from the track "highway" to Boscawen as well as tried to pump water and blow snow when the temps were cold enough,,,,,, I NEVER knew how hard it "could be" to attain snow,,,,,, the second year I told the club,,,,, "HEY WE HAVE TO PLAY THE ODDS,,,, " man up!!!! on that Feb weekend we didn't have only a couple inches on the ground,,,,, I have to say,, glad the board ruled as I got shot down,,, just remember mother nature can be really UGLY!!!! In the right conditions it would be GREAT!!! In our two day event ,, day one was SERIOUS mud,,,,,,,,, and day two took your breath away it was so cold,,, ,,,, I wish them well.......

I do remember the TLTD's adventure in "making winter happen when winter isn't happening". NHMS has a big advantage in its existing infrastructure and deep pockets, but I'd go with a mid-February date to increase the odds of adequate natural snow cover. Still, if the permitting process is successful, and NHMS gets behind the program, it will happen and be successful. I guess hosting a series of 100,000-attendees events gives you some experience in problem solving.

I do remember the TLTD's adventure in "making winter happen when winter isn't happening". NHMS has a big advantage in its existing infrastructure and deep pockets, but I'd go with a mid-February date to increase the odds of adequate natural snow cover. Still, if the permitting process is successful, and NHMS gets behind the program, it will happen and be successful. I guess hosting a series of 100,000-attendees events gives you some experience in problem solving.

We were feb 11 and 12th,,, with zero snow, the worst part was that the snow guns need about 22 degrees to be able to crank snow,,,,,, on a few of our nights we didn't get that until 3 am and lost it by 7 am,,,,,, then again if it was this past winter on those dates,?????? crap loads of extreme POWDER and cold!!!!

Pretty sure that NHMS will only be contracting the site out.

ECSC will be responsible for associated costs... that is a pretty standard contract format for these events.

wish we could race the 1 mile oval track instead of snowX....Flat trackin would be awsum...

Edited by Yamiblue

wish we could race the 1 mile oval track instead of snowX....Flat trackin would be awsum...

I'd agree it would be quite a spectacle, something like the Lancaster Grand Prix oval racers of 40 years ago. But, what type of sleds would race on a 1-mile banked track? Maybe the twin-trackers? Real snowmobiles would look very slow on that track.

Many years ago, when John Bordeau Sr. was the Race Director for NHSA, oval ice/powder racing was all the rage.

Briar's (NHMS) would have a powder GP on the road course...

Of course, Snow X was more like a hare or hound & hare scramble at that time.

The problem was that it promoted faster and faster sleds that non-racers would emulate in their trail sleds.

On 6/10/2015 at 8:09 PM, jhwentworth said:

I'd agree it would be quite a spectacle, something like the Lancaster Grand Prix oval racers of 40 years ago. But, what type of sleds would race on a 1-mile banked track? Maybe the twin-trackers? Real snowmobiles would look very slow on that track.

Well after the fact, I saw this video that was done back in February of 2015. Yup, they do look pretty slow, but I'd bet they're having a good time.

Maybe something more like the 24 hours of lemons would be more entertaining?  Pony up some older iron and let them go

On 6/9/2015 at 8:20 AM, rivercat said:

We were feb 11 and 12th,,, with zero snow, the worst part was that the snow guns need about 22 degrees to be able to crank snow,,,,,, on a few of our nights we didn't get that until 3 am and lost it by 7 am,,,,,, then again if it was this past winter on those dates,?????? crap loads of extreme POWDER and cold!!!!

I remember you guys had everything go against you . There still was some good racing had though. Hopefully mother nature can cooperate if anyone decides to take the NHMS event on.

Edited by Bilbo

On 6/9/2015 at 8:20 AM, rivercat said:

I really don't understand exactly what it is, but it has something to do with the wetbulb temperature. We made snow when ECS came to Ossipee when the temp was at 30°F.

It's a shame we can't rely on the old fashioned winters that a lot of us can remember.