WINNOCTURN

New Snowmachine on the Trails

FAT BIKE?

Have you seen them on our Snowmobile Trails?

I have started a Thread on WINNI.COM

http://winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?p=241929

There is a growing Business in the Mount Washington Valley and North Conway area. From several comments by TV Reports covering these Machines they are say that they can be used on our Snowmobile Trails?

I have contacted NHSA and our Carol County NHSA Director on this situation.

I did get a reply for George Kaye indicating that there was some discussion at NHSA at Board Meeting a year ago. It would appear that there was no major concern at that time. Reading and seeing what has been "Broadcast" at this time I am concerned.

They are Wheeled Vehicle aren't they?

I see no regulations for REGISTRATION (Contribution) to our Sport.

I do not want to see this creep up on us like the fiasco with Castle Trails.

I am going off topic for a second.

I know there seams to be a decline in Posts to this Forum and for me it has been the inability to cut and paste for Windows 7. I have to go back to my old laptop running XP to do this. Is there an update the would work with "7"?

post-12-0-23973200-1427041080_thumb.jpg

I am going off topic for a second.

I know there seams to be a decline in Posts to this Forum and for me it has been the inability to cut and paste for Windows 7. I have to go back to my old laptop running XP to do this. Is there an update the would work with "7"?

Please describe your issue with Win 7 cut-and-paste into this forum. I created this post with Win 7 Notepad, then did a cut-and-paste here.

Earlier this winter a ran into a few on the Rail trail in Andover. Had no problems with one he got out of the way we waved to each other, nothing out of the ordinary. The other one however was very different. He was riding in the middle of the trail with earbuds in, I was behind for a min or two when he turns his head, looks right at me, I know he saw me, and he stayed right in the middle of the trail and made no effort to get out of the way. As soon as it was safe I went around him, as I past him I may have kicked up a little snow dust, but man it pissed me off.

Edited by snorander

I see wmur is doing a chronicle on THEM MONDAY,,,, no problem at all UNTIL they are everywhere,,,,,,, and there are TONS of them!!!!!

I just went to my Dentist and he had been out on our trails,,,,,,,,

Edited by rivercat

OK, here's the work around to cut and paste when using Internet Explorer. Just click on the button on the upper left of the editor that I highlighted in the screen shot below. It will disable the editor options but you will be able to paste to the text box. As soon as you paste you can go back up and click the button and resume editing as usual.

post-2-0-99149200-1427048335_thumb.jpg

I don't see why they should be allowed without contributing to the trail system. And if they ride the trails like they do the roads, ( not getting out of the way ) I expect problems. Last summer I followed a group down the road, I was cautious in passing because two were riding side by side. They went down a hill & clicked pedals, one almost went down, had I been passing at that time I would have hit him. They should get the hell outa the way !!

I have to wonder if SOME people on bikes have ever tried to pass a group of bikes,,,, do they ALWAYS ride there bikes where ever they go?? :dunno:

I swear they have never been in a car,,,,, :nea:

I don't see the problem with them. In my area, we have all kinds of users on the trails that my club maintains. We have always had people hiking/walking dogs, cross country skiers and in years past, people on standard mountain bikes. They are a "wheeled vehicle" but I don't think they fit the intended definition of a wheeled vehicle (ATVs etc). They don't do any damage to the trails, like a typical wheeled vehicle would.

Are some of the bikers using the trails obnoxious and rude? Absolutely. But does that represent the entire group? Absolutely not.

Sounds familiar to us snowmobilers, no?

Would it be nice if they contributed to the club in some way? Of course it would. But for all I know, they already belong to the club. I have almost no way of knowing.

I think if this issue is not addressed soon, it will become a major problem. We all pay reg fee's, insurance( most of us) and belong to clubs. What do these people do? These folks are using trails we all pay to maintain and are contributing nothing. The vast majority of these folks are not friends of motorized recreation. I say nip this in the bud before we are out numbered and out voted.

PMSC got a groomer fund donation from the tri-city trailblazers(fat tire people)

I believe they are an ATV club, ATV's may have relatively speaking fat tires but......

LOL. That fat bike looks pretty cool. Down here I've been seeing them for a few years. We get a lot of people on our trails skiing, hiking , biking and riding sleds. They are trail users like everyone else. Slow down and show some courtesy and in most cases you get it in return. As for bikes on the road, I can't stand the arrogance and stupidity of a cyclist who has complete disregard for a motor vehicle. I average about 1500 miles a season on my pedal bike and always remember one fact , If I get hit by a car I lose. Most people in cars give room when they can but sharing the road is a two way street.

I see one of those bikes in the Lyme trail system on a regular basis. If it is a hard packed trail they get around...if not I don't think they can move to well. Went by one today and he did not move an inch...went around him when we (11 of us) had the chance.

There are a group of them in Wolfeboro that use the trails too... It would be nice if the bikes, dog sledders, cross country skiers, ect paid some sort of dues to use the trails. We are expected to not interfere with them, yet they are on our trails... By no means should they pay the $100, but even $10 for all the above categories would go along way. Its not about them not "ruining" the trails, its the fact that the clubs maintain them not just in the winter, but year round. Every penny counts when brushing trails or putting in new bridges.

Maybe cross country ski trails would be more appropriate for them?

Are these people going to assume that the trails are for use all year round?????????

Many of our land owners are allowing winter use only for MANY different reasons,,,, some of them are seasonal businesses that are closed in the winter like myself and the summer camp next door , and the canoe rental up the street,,, and then the people further up the trail that hay their field,,,,,, the list goes on!!!!!!

I see some HUGE problems brewing in our trail system if thats the case,,,,,, =@=@

I think the issue people are over looking is landowner permission. We as snowmobile clubs get written permission to use their property for snowmobiling and nothing else. If a landowner does not want them on the property they may just shut the trail off to everyone. State rail trails and town forest trails (depending on town ordinances) are OK, but when that trail goes onto private property its a different issue, and because there are no boundery makers on the trail they have no way in knowing whos property they are on. I do see a lot of discussions regarding this issue over the summer, especially if they try to use the trails in the off season they could piss off some landowners.

I think the issue people are over looking is landowner permission. We as snowmobile clubs get written permission to use their property for snowmobiling and nothing else. If a landowner does not want them on the property they may just shut the trail off to everyone. State rail trails and town forest trails (depending on town ordinances) are OK, but when that trail goes onto private property its a different issue, and because there are no boundery makers on the trail they have no way in knowing whos property they are on. I do see a lot of discussions regarding this issue over the summer, especially if they try to use the trails in the off season they could piss off some landowners.

Good point,,,,,,, maybe time for a new sign ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, "Wintertime use only"

I believe they are an ATV club, ATV's may have relatively speaking fat tires but......

Correction,tri-city bicycles and 1 individual bike rider donation

RIVERCAT,

I got some feedback today for both the Bureau of Trails and Fish and Game.

Yes Landowner Permission is a key concern. Especially after the snow is gone and they keep riding the Trial.

I really don't understand the issue here. I saw one out on the trails here in the NEK of VT and it didn't appear to do any damage to the trail. We are talking about bicycles and not ATV's. What is difference between a bike and a x-country skier? Seems to me like it would be a better idea to embrace them and ask them to join the club. Who knows, you might even get some volunteer labor out of them.

As for summer use, I know Mt Bikers have been using the OVSC trails for years without any issues. In fact several years ago a Mt Biker used to give several hours of his time during the summer helping OVSC maintain the trails. There is even a trail named in his honor after he passed (BinsackTrail)

I really don't understand the issue here. I saw one out on the trails here in the NEK of VT and it didn't appear to do any damage to the trail. We are talking about bicycles and not ATV's. What is difference between a bike and a x-country skier? Seems to me like it would be a better idea to embrace them and ask them to join the club. Who knows, you might even get some volunteer labor out of them.

As for summer use, I know Mt Bikers have been using the OVSC trails for years without any issues. In fact several years ago a Mt Biker used to give several hours of his time during the summer helping OVSC maintain the trails. There is even a trail named in his honor after he passed (BinsackTrail)

Agreed, when I was biking a lot I pedaled many miles on snowmobile trails during the summer months. I even tried riding on the snow a couple of times in Pawtuckaway, but with standard mt. Bike tires it's like trying to ride in sand. I can see how it would be fun on a Fat Tire bike.

Note: Those bikes are about $2500 to buy. I don't think you need to worry about every kid on the block getting one, and hitting the sled trails.

The concern about summer use on the trails by bikers is valid but I don't see where it will all of the sudden be any worse than it has ever been. We have a pretty substantial amount of biking trails around here and there are some sled trails that are winter use only. Remember, the sled trails are only being used by bikes now because it is the only area packed down where bikes can be ridden at this time. Here in Exeter as well as out around Auburn there are some very good mtn biking trails, I'm sure there are many more areas as well. Just like with snowmobiling,there are mtn biking groups that work on legitimate biking areas. Do mtn bikers piss off landowners on some occasions? yup, as do snowmobilers. I would recommend getting the landowners take on if they want to post no bikes or not. I ride a fair amount on my mtn bike and hardly any of it is on sled trails. There is just a lot of terrain where a person can ride a bike and not be causing problems.

I always thought that in NH you can be on someone’s property, unless it is posted as private property or no trespassing. I know that is the case with hunting. http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunt_landowner_hunter_FAQs.htm

I can’t imagine there are many landowners who would have a problem with mountain bikers using the trail that goes through their property.

Also, landowners are protected from liability http://www.nhstateparks.org/partner-and-community-resources/laws/recreational-use-statutes.aspx

Edited by Patriot

They shouldn't be allowed period pay a fee or just stay off I'm not a kid im 46 yrs old and been riding since i was a kid but we the snowmobile have to walk on glass when we pass people like this and they give us no respect I'm sick of all the do gooders. They want to ride our groomed trails then pay a club fee and trail pass just lume us to the clubs for there time in the groomers rant over