Sign in to follow this  
PolarisCobra

Parking and Riding the Lakes Region

Planning a ride for Sunday. Will be coming up 93 from Mass, looking for a place to park close enough to the lake to get to the Alton Bay Area, or Castle in the Clouds. Closer to 93 is better, less time in the truck means more time on the trails.

Where is a good place to park, maybe around Tilton or a bit south. Want to be east of 93 I think, unless there is an easy way to get under it. Looking to do a 60 - 80 mile ride, any suggestions welcome.

Thanks. :sleds:

There’s a parking lot on NH 171 (Old Mountain Rd) it is at a junction with corridor 15 and corridor 26.

From there you can head to Winnipesaukee or to the castle and Mt Shaw area. I was up there 2 week ago and the trails where close to perfect. Your looking at two and half hour dive from your area.

Mike

There’s a parking lot on NH 171 (Old Mountain Rd) it is at a junction with corridor 15 and corridor 26.

From there you can head to Winnipesaukee or to the castle and Mt Shaw area. I was up there 2 week ago and the trails where close to perfect. Your looking at two and half hour dive from your area.

Mike

Thats not even close to 93....

I have seen a lot of trailers parked in McDonalds Parking lot in Tilton right off exit 20. I would go and ask them first when you pull in and get a coffee or whatever. Have seen them there many times as it is right around the corner from me. I have also seen in mall parking lot next door where staples and us cellular is, trail coming into parking lot behind mall.

Also small parking lot in Norhtfield off exit 19, turn left follow rt 132 up Park St , you will see school on right , directly across from school on left is small road that goes behind trains into recreational parking lot along river, good access there. Comes up on you quick so be ready to turn left as the school fence ends. Goes through main st of tilton follows river on railbed right under I-93

Edited by dunphy11

Exit 20 for Tilton will work. McDonalds might be your best bet. Eide the rr bed all the way up into Laconia where you can get on the lake and go any where

Thats not even close to 93....

Never said it was, but it is close to Castle in the Clouds.

Thanks very much. Sounds like Tilton will be it, park at McDonalds or Staples.

So the next question is around registration. One of the group will need to register. Any recommendations for Sunday morning in that area?

jay    3

Dog Track in Belmont on RT 106. Ride 15 to 22 to Alton

or

And its a little further off 93, but Johnsons in New Durham. Right on 22 and access to the lake and some great riding.

Parking in Tilton and taking the tracks is rolling the dice IMO. Especially if there are warmer temps

I second Belmont dog track. Rode from there yesterday to Mt Mac, MT major and moose mountain and all around Evergreen, MMSC, Gilmanton, powdermill and others trail systems before turning around. 150 miles solo and trails were great. I would have broke 200 miles but had to be back by 5.

Pics

post-134-0-12225900-1425592716_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-61442200-1425592742_thumb.jpg

There is a hardware store on Main St in Tilton, Bryant and Lawrence. They do reg`s but don`t open on Sunday until 10 a.m.

The tracks in Tilton will be fine, there most likely will be a rail showing here and there but between the rails has plenty of ice pack. Just exercise caution as needed.

If you do take tracks toward Laconia, follow tracks to Winnisquam Lake to road crossing by Mosquito Bridge (Winnisquam/Belmont) cross road follow tracks for about 100 yds trail will dump junction on left at end of the little street and cabins, onto lake. Follow up lake center(a little rough on lake but not as bad as others) for a few miles then bear to the right side(east) of lake . you will see a little community of bobhouse close to shore. This is Ahern Park behind Laconia Prison area, trail is there follow either direction all goes same to Paugus Bay . You will avoid downtown Laconia area where it will be thinner because of all the pavement and salt.

Also another trail all the way to end (north) of lake which can bring you to meridith center over to Lake Wakewan area and beyond. A little rough for awhile but will get you around the busier lake area.

Edited by dunphy11

Is it reasonable to assume that the ice on the lake is safe if you stay to defined trails, and where there are lots of tracks? Have no desire to do any skimming on the two up...

We are going to head to Belmont on Sunday morning. Easy enough to get to, we can stay off the rail bed (always a good idea if possible). There will be a couple of Doos, two Cats, and a Blue Polaris in the group, wave us down if you see us...

:sleds:

Is it reasonable to assume that the ice on the lake is safe if you stay to defined trails, and where there are lots of tracks? Have no desire to do any skimming on the two up...

For the most part there should be plenty of ice. However, following tracks can take you to areas where some riders skim. If you are unfamiliar with the lake it's best to use extreme caution.

Got in our ride from Belmont Dog Track yesterday. Weren't real sure we had the right place at first, there were no other trucks or trailers there at 8:30 when we arrived. Long story short, we verified that we were OK there, and headed off.

Trails in that area were GREAT, we had a blast. Did nearly 100 miles. Rode up to Winnisquam, then over to Lacona. Had lunch at Tilton Diner. Worked our way back to the parking area, then down to Alton Bay. Got to check out the airstrip, but not much going on while we were there. Cruised up the lake for a short distance, found our way back to the trail, then to the trucks.

Thanks for the tips, it was great to explore a new area for us.

Got in our ride from Belmont Dog Track yesterday. Weren't real sure we had the right place at first, there were no other trucks or trailers there at 8:30 when we arrived. Long story short, we verified that we were OK there, and headed off.

Trails in that area were GREAT, we had a blast. Did nearly 100 miles. Rode up to Winnisquam, then over to Lacona. Had lunch at Tilton Diner. Worked our way back to the parking area, then down to Alton Bay. Got to check out the airstrip, but not much going on while we were there. Cruised up the lake for a short distance, found our way back to the trail, then to the trucks.

Thanks for the tips, it was great to explore a new area for us.

While you were in Gilmanton, did you visit the "locally famous" Mount Mac? It's located in the Boy Scout camp off from C-22.

No. Did ride through the camp, didn't explore there much. Will make it a point next time.

So, what is a Mount Mac? (I don't know about all the 'locally famous' stuff, since I am not local...

Mount Mac is a high country lookout that provides a very nice view of the Belknap Mountains. 'It's an "interesting" climb to the top, but nothing that a conventional sled, with studs, can't do. Not a ton of room to turn around up there.

The riding down here would seem to have a limited shelf life without another snow storm. The snow is going fast in many places, the water bars are opening, and road crossings and travel over plowed roads, are becoming more difficult. Things do change quickly. Did a quick run through Gilmanton and Barnstead today and the difference between today and two weeks ago is big.

May be time to start trailering north.

Edited by jhwentworth