Sign in to follow this  
rivercat

A shout out to The Bow Pioneers for their HELP!

Friday afternoon after shoveling off our 360' LONG Chicken coop (now storage) I set out at 4 pm for a 3 hour groom as I had a date at 7 ish!

I began in Riverhill and headed towards Hero's Crossing as its a nice feeder that provides riders with gas and food including PIZZA by the slice! I crossed Hero's Bridge and headed down the rail bed toward Contoocook, to the base of Rattle Snake Hill where the Snow Mads have to take over with their Scandic due to the narrower trail,,,, I then headed towards Bow where we meet with the Bow Pioneers on top of Beach Hill (the giant rock)

Part way up Beach Hill I began to sense this would be "hairy" as the drifts were huge and wave like,,, the landowner had logged of a huge section of woods and the snow as very deep in the trail ,,,,,, sure enough I got stuck,,, I was creeping for over an hour I made it all of 70 feet,,,, I realized I was going to damage something if I didn't call for help. My first call was to the equipment operator who lived at the bottom of the hill ,, he tried to dig his way up the trail with his CAT loader with tire chains and due to the ditching and NARROW crown, he gave up after an hour of digging,,,,, I then called Ray C , who was a huge help and gave me names of people to call in the Pioneers,,,,, I made the hard choice to shut down, put out my cones and hike out 3 hours late for my "date" ,,,,,,

8 am I call to the Pioneers , they have tow straps , shovels, jumpers , and a generator and are already in transit to get me out,,,, they are a little over an hour away,,, and it is 8 below zero,,,, I hiked back into the groomer just as they arrived and the first oder of business was to get power for the block heater,,,, two hours to warm the engine at that temp... we worked in teams digging all around the drag which was off the trail in in the ditch,,,,, they pushed the snow drifts back that were in front of the Massy and after several attempts she finally fired up,,,,, a gentle tug and we were back out,,,,,, I was committed to the rest of the hill as it's my turn around,,,,, I turned and groomed down with the Pioneers following with their Tucker,,,,, we parted at the bottom as I finished my trip grooming Mast Yard,,,, and on home,,,, back in the yard at 3 pm,,,, My "GF" was STILL waiting for me,,,,, Thanks Ray C, Mark Dubie and Craig Ott from the Pow Pioneers and also to all the sledder who stopped to offer any aide they could!!!! ANd especially Morrill Transport for his efforts the night before,,, the ride home included,, he isnt even a snowmobiler and has always lent a hand when he could! Rivercat

Thanks for all you do, grooming is fun isn't it! sorry we couldn't stay longer to help you dig out, had 3 guys up from CT who were anxious to ride, looks like you were in good hands though!

few shots from the gopro

post-232-0-21043300-1424708513_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-84740700-1424708556_thumb.jpg

post-232-0-30429600-1424708618_thumb.jpg

Holy Crap .... I saw that first picture over on FB and did not realize it was YOU !

I thought it was a picture of some crazy Canadians off trail ... LOL ...

Not in a million years did I ever think you could get that HUGE machine

of yours ever stuck. What an ordeal .... Deepest thanks to all that helped !

Rob ....

Edited by skully

Thanks for all you do, grooming is fun isn't it! sorry we couldn't stay longer to help you dig out, had 3 guys up from CT who were anxious to ride, looks like you were in good hands though!

few shots from the gopro

attachicon.gifG0012746 (Large).JPG

attachicon.gifG0012730 (Large).JPG

attachicon.gifG0012717 (Large).JPG

HEY guys THANKS for the pics!!!!!! NO fun to live thru but AWSUM to have the pics afterwards...... the esp picture would be the frustration of me on Friday eve after a few hours of trying to get her free,,,,,,, (the groomer LOL ) the worst of the problem is partially visible in the middle pic,,,,, a certain individual thought her would ditch the edges of a class six road,,,,,, an honest 3-4 DEEP leaving almost no flat travel surface,,,,, 5 days earlier a woman hit a drift lost the trail . went into the trench and was transported from the base of the hill by rescue to the hospital for "lower leg " injuries,,,,,,, to compound the drifting a huge timber cut was just done off the right of the trail,,,,, the forest is on the left so the drifts are HUGE!!!!!

Hey! That's me in the middle pic. Poor Mark. He got the Bow groomer stuck twice in the power lines next to 93.

post-502-0-28286400-1424901518_thumb.jpg

Edited by NHsledin

No need to go up NORTH. We have lots of snow and great trails here. March could be a month to remember. :sleds:

post-1335-0-99525300-1424917474_thumb.jp

Edited by RayC

Hey! That's me in the middle pic. Poor Mark. He got the Bow groomer stuck twice in the power lines next to 93.

How did he get it out?

Noticed the TLTD Tucker stuck on the rail bed trail this morning. Bad luck seems to run in streaks.

Hi John,,,,,, I lost the steering in the Massey last night at 1030 LUCKY I was at a perfect place to park,,,,,, made a couple calls finally got one of our guys out of bed to come get me,,,,,, into bed at 1130 ish,,,,,,,, My phone rings at exactly 101 AM,,,,, Reggie just pulling off the rail bed and got BURIED... was hoping I was still out , but had to tell him I was "down" so Reggie and his son hiked out to his truck (near where we park our Tucker) ,,,,, I got up this am did a few things at work and got my supplies to go work on the Massey,,, turned out to be a easy fix and a slow warm up was back grooming by 2 pm ish and the "boys" got the Tucker free on their own,,,,, so we are back up and running again,,,,,,,, FOR NOW! We just got the TUCKER rear end rebuilt (finished) on Thursday PM ,,,,,a rough week!!!

the "boys" got the Tucker free on their own,,,,, so we are back up and running again,,,,,,,, FOR NOW!

I wish I could have seen how they got the Tucker out. Our group debated just how it would be done, and everything from a skycrane to divine intervention was suggested. Just disconnecting the hydraulic lines looked to be a hassle as they were stretched like a banjo string. We did think that the Masey would be involved in the tow, but it sounds like it was down.

I say "good job, well done" if they were able to get that rig back on the trail without breaking anything.

I wish I could have seen how they got the Tucker out. Our group debated just how it would be done, and everything from a skycrane to divine intervention was suggested. Just disconnecting the hydraulic lines looked to be a hassle as they were stretched like a banjo string. We did think that the Masey would be involved in the tow, but it sounds like it was down.

I say "good job, well done" if they were able to get that rig back on the trail without breaking anything.

2 men and a boy,,,, along with a snow shovel..... Reggie (the operator) and his son who is 12 ish, and 78 year old NORM the Club Patriarch (helped build Hero's Bridge) NEVER underestimate the power of experience coupled with age,,,, NORM is a whiz!!! they got it out on it's own power!!! And my job was to get the Massey back up..... it all came together perfectly!!!! I rode today and it was nothing less than amazing out there!!!! ENJOY the trails!!!!