ckf

Wasting our time?

I can't help but wonder if we are wasting our time here on SledNH.com. I've been around these forums for a long time and it seems that people are more interested in promoting FaceBook now more than a small site like SledNH. Instead of helping small businesses like the ones that support SledNH, it seems like supporting a large company like FB is what the public wants to do. Maybe it's the convience of FaceBook that makes it easier? I'd really like to hear what you guys think.

I don't do facebook yet personally...everyone I know spends a lot of time on it...LIKE THEY MIGHT MISS SOMETHING. I do not have time for it although I did have one of my employees set up an account for my Landscape Business. I could do a lot more with it but it seems like you need HOURS a day to update and answer posts etc. I am not that familiar with it...but can see it as a good advertising "social media" "yellow pages" for business and finding old high school or college buddies. Then you have to keep up with all the newly acquired friends pictures, etc. My kid's and Wife say I am too "old school". It does take longer to teach an old dog new tricks!

I do enjoy this Forum very much and have met and ridden with several members. Have gotten lots of good information and some gooooood talk. It would be a shame to not have it. I don't think that FB really hurts this site.

Keep up the good work...just my .02

Bruce

I think that small web sites like SledNH are in the position of local independent grocery or hardware stores. How do you compete with Home Depot or WalMart? Remember UseNet? Very popular for a while, then along came the web, with graphics and links, and videos, and just about everything that Usenet didn't have, places like SledNH. Now comes Facebook, with other "must-have" features. Younger people are attracted to new technology, and tend to stay with it as they age, I've read that people will be listening the same music they listened to at 30 when they're 60, and I think that's true.

Not sure that convenience has much to do with it, SledNh is pretty easy to use. I think the problem is that these large Internet companies are now able to do targeted advertising to direct advertising messages from local companies to local customers. Anybody who owns a small business knows that Google wants their advertising business. Their salespeople are relentless. Good luck.

This site has been awfully slow traffic wise lately but I don't think it is because of face book. I think that there are just other snowmobile forums out there that just get way more traffic and have a lot more to offer. I still check this site often for new posts and occasionally post a new topic but numbers of people here are very low.

Like right now there are only 3 people in here!!

I think a lot of people who may have stumbled upon this site in the past are now finding other communities on Facebook. Facebook is convienient and easy, but it will never replace this forum for me. That being said it's hard not to notice that this forum has been really dead this fall and so far this winter. It usually picks up in the fall, but it seems way slower this year. I hope it picks up in here, I love this place and do not want to see it go away.

I agree with you that facebook seems to get all the attention. Even clubs update Facebook before there own web page. I do not have Facebook and know very little about it, but this site I really enjoy. Being a flat lander from south eastern mass I look To this site for the most current information up there and it has never let me down. I have notice it is slower this year but mother nature could be playing a part in that. Let everyone keep up the good work and think snow.

Mike

I also think that this site is very snow-related. No snow- no traffic on this site.

Well put smallengineguy.!!

I check in on this site 1 -2 times a day, lots of useful information, awesome people!

I also refuse to cave in to the "if you don't have a facebook page you don't exist" way.

I guess i'll sit here "nonexistent" enjoying my morning coffee watching the skies waiting for snow :fluffy:

Have a safe Happy New Year to all!!

I echo what smallengineguy said about snow bringing traffci to this site. I agree that snow is the fuel for a site like this. When there is snow we have trail reports, ride reports, questons about how to fix what broke the otherday, discussion of new products we have used as well as stories about experiences from the weekends rides. Some of these threads then spawn further threads and discussions. I am an avid facebook user but still frequent this site M-F and once the snow flys will visit on the weekends as well. I am a member of other sledding boards and can honestly say that this site is my favorite because of the both the people and because it is free of the B.S. that seems to exist on other boards. It would be a shame to see this site fall apart and honestly don't see it happening unless the moderators do not continue to support it. As I said in the beginning, snow is the fuel for this site. LET IT SNOW and they WILL COME!! :fluffy:

over the years this site has provided a GREAT place for me to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, without this site to do updates on NH Heros Recreational Crossing,,,, I'd have never been able to "vent" to my peers,,, never been able to sort my thoughts, frustrations, pictures, story, and the MOST IMPORTANT ,,,,,,,,,,,,, to hear my friends here say,,, "don't give up" NEARLY FOUR years is a long time to "push" a dream and I will say,,, This Forum and its members , we just a big of a contributor as ANY OTHER!!,,,,,,,, I have finally met a "writer" and we are in talks as to how or if this project could be put onto paper with some key photos,,,,, It's the "second half" of my dream,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,

oh and one more thing,, the bridge between Canterbury and Boscawen is officially gone now,,,,,,,,,, is it time for ANOTHER???? Not so sure guys,,,, but something to "ponder" as it would connect the easterly side of the State with Corridor 11 on our west side... not far from the County Home,,, ... bit it is a 340' gap..............

I really can't speak for Facebook since I have never been on it. Smallengineguy is correct regarding snow being the driving force behind this site. There is plenty of good

info to be had on here when the conditions permit.

Don't like facebook, do not and will not use it. Appreciate this site and check in regularly. As others have said no snow, no riding. Reduced traffic here and on the trails. Hate to see facebook replace any of my regular sites. Can't speak as a business or an advertiser.

I haven't posted on here since I sold my F6 a few years ago (wicked bummer, live and learn) have only ridden my kids sled twice in that time (had a blast with it too), haven't helped with a trail work party, signed up for my club or groomed but did buy $20 burgers on each of my two rides to the SOSSC club house. Amazed at how nice their trails any/every time I ride them, huge kudo's to the core group at SOSSC. A week doesn't pass where I don't feel bad about not helping my club but a change of jobs with lots of travel and a teenage daughter that wants to hang with friends at home have kinda put my sledding addiction on the back burner. It is what it is, I can only hope/dream about getting back into it and involved like I used to be.

I still frequent slednh just to see what's kicking, just don't post because I'm kinda out of it for the time being.... There has always been good information on here for the asking, whether ride condition related or questions relating to just about anything, sled related or not, some good people round-round here.

I like the fact that we can all post here, and that there is a level of control. The community is what is important, much more than the specific software.It may be possible to move to a different software tool like Facebook to build a community, but I am not sure the result would be better.

I too have met several members, rode with some. The BS level is really low, if someone doesn't know the answer to a question, they don't answer with bad advice, just to post something. (Saw a post on HCS recently that suggested someone yank on a hot coolant hose to test if the connector is securely pressed into the block. What happens of that 140 degree pressurized hose comes off?)

The traffic is lower, but the quality is better. If you need a minimum level of traffic to keep the advertisers that fund the site, we may be able to do something to drive membership. I see this site as being a friendly place with good info. HCS is the Wild Wild West, Freedom Sledder is where the inmates are running the asylum, there really isn't much sledding related going on there.

I still come here at least once a day, even in the summer.

Not wasting my time. I don't use facebook and wont use it. Keep it going its a great site.

The big difference I see between Sled NH and Facebook is you have anything and everything on Facebook and Sled NH is all things snowmobile and trail related. It has become necessary for a lot of clubs to have a Facebook page because of the popularity of Facebook. The content on Facebook updates itself because of the input from the people who use it, much like here. The web page relies on a team of people to update and post, just more work for a dedicated few at most clubs!

Once you set up your Facebook account it's like "one stop shopping" because all of your interests show up automatically without having to go from site to site.

I look at this site everyday, including during the summer months.

Don't post often because do not feel I've much to say/add to the conversation.

I like this site better than the competition's.

For what it is worth I feel that people here are more friendly.

I hope you are not thinking about closing it down.

I am sure that traffic here is off to a slow start due to the weather.

Like most everyone else here the sleds and I are ready to go but no snow, yet.

As far as FB goes I do not want anything to do with it.

Privacy amongst the biggest concerns.

I check this site every day, usually more than once. I read just about everything here but I don't post too much. I wasn't going to reply but as the thread develops, I find myself wanting to express my take on it. as most here probably do, I check other snow sites a well. they all have useful information. the original post here was about traffic volume but I think that the volume has to do with content also. the threads here are full of information or asking for others help or trail conditions. other sites with higher volume have good info also but have more threads whining about the poor weather conditions, posting every time the temperature moves 2 degrees and posts about mods to sleds with 0 miles on them. lots of useless information for me anyway but seems to boost the post numbers. I have made contacts with people from this site which I never would have met without it being here. just my 2 cents.

Edited by harrison6jd

Get those pj's on inside out and get a spoon under your pillow when you go to bed! -for those of you with young children you should understand this

Edited by triplepleasure

Ditto to all. I'm new to the site this year, but am visiting almost daily now and enjoying all the information. Cold temps are here and good chance of some reasonable frozen precip Saturday night. Hopefully Sunday isn't too warm..