ColdBrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Newfound Lake
  • Club(s):SNHSS

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

It's not snowmobile related, but I figured a lot of you know a lot more about these than I do.

A girl at work is looking for a descent wood chipper that can take up to a 3 inch branch. I've seen a few on Craig's List, but I'd like some recommendations on horse power, type of blade or brands to stay away from.

Thanks in advance. :)

#2 rivercat

rivercat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:I love spending time with my family on the Contoocook river on the party boat, trail development / work, building bridges, public relations, yes riding the sleds is a BLAST too!
  • Favorite Riding Area:Concord NH north
  • Club(s):Town Line Trail Dusters

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi Cold Brew,
this is not the answer you were looking for BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, how much chipping has she done? how much does she have to do???? How much can they drag for how long????
The machine is not for the faint of heart and will make short work of most clean up projects,,,,,, MAYBE she should consider RENTING one for a weekend, just to be sure this is a machine she really needs to own,,,,

Edited by rivercat, 22 July 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#3 ColdBrew

ColdBrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

I know what you're saying, but I don't know her private life well enough to determine whether she needs it or not. I know she wants to use it on her father's land, but that's all I know. She just asked me for some guidelines on buying one.

#4 OldViperRider

OldViperRider

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts
  • Interests:Amateur Radio
    Target Shooting (all kinds)
    Fly Fishing
  • Favorite Riding Area:NH, ME & Quebec
  • Club(s):Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

It's not snowmobile related, but I figured a lot of you know a lot more about these than I do.

A girl at work is looking for a descent wood chipper that can take up to a 3 inch branch. I've seen a few on Craig's List, but I'd like some recommendations on horse power, type of blade or brands to stay away from.

Thanks in advance. :)

I have a DR 16HP electric start chipper that can take up to a 3.5" log and it feeds automatically. I have had it for a few years and it has worked very well. It is not cheap, but it works very well. You do need a garden tractor, pickup truck or ATV to pull it around. It is well built and heavy.

Ride Early, Ride Often! Mark a.k.a. OVR, Opa & OF-1
Mileage: 13-14 (1022); 12-13 (228); 11-12 (629); 10-11 (3,115)

In the Moose, Snowmobile and ATV
Capital of New England.
Located in New Hampshire's GREAT NORTH WOODS.

My Clubs: Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club Inc. | Great North Woods Riders ATV Club Inc.

#5 Yamiblue

Yamiblue

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:on the snow
  • Club(s):NH Trail Dawgs

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:54 AM

For what it will cost to own a chipper that will truely take a 3" limb it would seem crazy to buy one.#1 is the maintainance,changing or sharpening blades,keeping an engine running that will only get used a few times a year,repairing welds that"will crack" due to the extreme vibration of the beast,and a host of other expences.
Rent it.....................I've got four of them and can't see why she would want to own one unless going into the wood chipping buisness.

JMHO.......AND it's a heck of a lot more fun to have bon fires anyway

#6 ICG

ICG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:NH & ME eastern mountains
  • Club(s):OVSC, Turner Ridge Runners

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:13 PM

Unfortunately, YamiBlue is right on point, it’s way too expensive to hand chip brush on any large scale for land clearing.

I’ve been down that path and sold the equipment as the labor costs, fuel costs, depreciation and maintenance were more expensive than sub contracting land clearing to a crew with large equipment.

Liability is nuts in owning a drum chipper which we had, workers comp doesn’t want to hear or see a company own one of the old style machines… the newer ones are more compliant, but the cost doesn’t justify the costs when you only use it now and then.

Call me cheap, but pushing the mess with a rock bucket on the hoe or excavator is a far more cost effective measure.

#7 The Toolman

The Toolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Freedom
  • Club(s):SOS

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

This wood chipper (see link) will do what she wants without a problem. I bought it on craigslist for $700. after seeing my neighbors work so good. It will also grind up leaves and smaller brush with it's hammermill hopper. bigger branches just take a little longer since you self feed it.

http://www.mackissic.com/HSC_12P.html

#8 ColdBrew

ColdBrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thanks!

#9 Yamiblue

Yamiblue

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Good luck.....Mackissic replacement parts are THE most expensive parts you can buy ( I manage taylor rental in manchester and know this for a fact)

#10 The Toolman

The Toolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Anything that's worth a damn is gonna cost. Garbage in means garbage out. The only parts that you have to buy from them are hammer flails or screens for below or a blade. The other parts are available elsewhere. I needed a bearing for the main shaft and got it a eastern bearing ($50) because it wasn't greased by the doctor who owned it and kept his 14 acres behind Mt Wachusett clean. Motor parts and belts are available anywhere mower parts are available. The rest is solid well built steel, probably like the Dr. versions.

#11 The Toolman

The Toolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

http://boston.craigs...3172387297.html

mighty mac chipper for $350

#12 ColdBrew

ColdBrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Thanks! I'll pass it on.

#13 Yamiblue

Yamiblue

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

Not trying to be a jerk.....BUT there is a reason it's 350$......I pay 12,000$ for a 6" chipper...and 10 yrs old it is worth 5,000$
If she is going to use it for a couple hrs a year then great...But alot cheaper to rent it in that case
Yes i know i'm compairing apples to oranges but thats my point

Edited by Yamiblue, 30 July 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#14 The Toolman

The Toolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

I used mine last fall after the October snow that left me with lots of branches over 1 1/2 acres of property. Anything smaller than 1" went into the hopper and the rest into the chipper. It is NOT fast and powerful like the commercial 6" units I used to rent, but since these storms happen more frequently, I can do this on MY time not the rental companies. An hour here or there is easier than dragging the equipment back and forth and spending the whole day on it to make it worth while. Plus the chips make awesome mulch and the leaves make great compost. And I have tons of leaves. It will be going up to Freedom soon the chip up my new 150' driveway extension and put the chips on the dirt to keep down the dust. It's not a commercial unit but it is one of the best home versions out there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users