snorander

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Newfound Lake area
  • Club(s):Pemi Valley Snowmobile Club

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

I'm sorry, what a couple of idots going out onto the ice this winter...stupid, stupid, stupid......

http://www.unionlead...EWS07/120219986

Home » News » Public Safety
Cell phone call helps save snowmobile riders after fall through Winnipesaukee ice
By DAN SEUFERT
Sunday New Correspondent
Published Feb 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm (Updated Feb 11, 2012) ShareThis

ALTON — A cell phone may have saved the lives of two snowmobilers who went through thin ice in the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday night.

The two men were rescued from The Broads area of the lake by rescue crews from Gilford and Tuftonboro with the help of a DHART rescue helicopter and the Tuftonboro Fire Department's airboat about 9:30 p.m., according to Gilford Fire Chief Stephen Carrier.

Both men were found suffering from hypothermia having been immersed in the 35-degree lake water, Carrier said, but neither suffered serious injuries and both were taken to local hospitals for precautionary health checks.

"They both got wet, but I guess they were able to get out of the water quick enough," said Carrier, who said the men crashed into a small open area of water in the town of Alton.

Authorities received a 911 call from one of the two men at 7:54 p.m., reporting "that he was looking for a friend and could no longer see him, and that he had gone through himself," Carrier said.

The man called authorities soon after and said his phone battery was running low. Before the battery died, the man reported seeing the Tuftonboro airboat approaching.

As Tuftonboro rescue crews brought the first victim to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro, a search by crews from several towns around the lake continued for the second man. About 9:15 p.m., Gilford crews found him walking on the ice a short distance from the other side of the open water toward Gilford.

"We're still not sure how the one victim got to the Tuftonboro side," Carrier said.

Neither rider knew that the other was safely out of the water, he said, as they both sought help in different directions. It was fortunate, Carrier said, that one of the men had a cell phone, as both were soaking wet, walking on the ice in windy, 20-degree weather.

"Without the cell phone call, we wouldn't have known they were out there," Carrier said.

The incident shows the need for taking precautions when on the ice in this warmer-than-normal winter, Carrier said,

"Obviously, this is an unusual winter, and there is open water in strange places," he said.

Edited by snorander, 12 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#2 Bilbo

Bilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling, camping, avid cyclist
  • Favorite Riding Area:Aroostook County Me , Northern NH
  • Club(s):SNTB/ SNHSS

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Nothing like exploring at night. Idiots.

#3 Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Sled Junky.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bottle digging, gardening, fishing brooks.
  • Favorite Riding Area:Anywhere
  • Club(s):Ossipee Valley Snowmobile Club

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Out on the broads of Winnie. Of all places to be. Wow. Glad things didn't turn tragic.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

O.V.S.C. Website!

#4 RenegadeGirl

RenegadeGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:riding our horses, my 3 awesome kids, being on the back of a motorcycle, hunting, fishing, training my dog, Ski-Doos, radar runs, adventures with friends and family, volunteering, cooking, making the people around me laugh and be happy!!! :D
  • Favorite Riding Area:Snowy spots

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

http://www.wmur.com/...829/detail.html

Sorry if I sound like a horrible person but it's hard to feel bad for two stupid drunk guys! One of the most selfish things one can do is OUI, in my opinion. The rescuers were endangered, considerable time and resources were expended all because these people made an immature decision.

Reading the OVSC thread yesterday, I saw where everyone was helping out other people. I never even saw coverage of the Ride-In on the news. :( THAT is the stuff that will not make the news, the good snowmobilers do. This sort of idiocy just furthers people thinking snowmobilers are, as a group, boozin' morons. When it is so far from the truth.

I'm so so sorry if you all think I'm terrible but this sort of thing really burns my biscuits! :(
"Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead!" ~Scottish proverb :D

#5 gunmaker

gunmaker

old fart 10

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:was Glamis Ca Now it's anywhere theres enough snow
  • Club(s):pittsburg ridge runners

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

We just talked about this the other day. MAN, some people. I'm from the deserts of Calif, and i know better.
Not just another pretty face in the crowd here

#6 rickzach

rickzach

Rick Zach

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Pretty wide... from guiding sled tours through Quebec to high tech. Work in TV broadcasting. Ham Radio as K1RJZ. Some writing, web authoring and other creative work. 30+ years sledding. It is a gas meeting new people on the trails from remote trappers to passionate weekend sledders. Winter is PEAK season for this family.
  • Favorite Riding Area:Quebec, Winnipesaukee, Colebrook/Pittsburg
  • Club(s):Belknap, OVSC, Pittsburg, Swift Diamond, plus OF# 0008

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Sorry to sound harsh but when it comes to obviously stupid moves at night and especially under the influence, Darwinism usually works. This time it did not.

I live in Gilford on the water looking at Welch's Island so we were watching the whole thing evolve right out of our windows, the search helicoper at night, rescue boats and with all of the flashing lights, it was pretty hard to miss it.

We hoped that everything would turn out OK and it did but what a stupid waste of resources, added risk to some very brave rescuers, and more bad media when it could have been 100% avoided.

I'm glad they they are OK, but please throw the book at them if only as an example of not tolerating sledding under the influence !

Edited by rickzach, 12 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#7 RenegadeGirl

RenegadeGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:riding our horses, my 3 awesome kids, being on the back of a motorcycle, hunting, fishing, training my dog, Ski-Doos, radar runs, adventures with friends and family, volunteering, cooking, making the people around me laugh and be happy!!! :D

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

Sorry to sound harsh but when it comes to obviously stupid moves at night and especially under the influence, Darwinism usually works. This time it did not.

I live in Gilford on the water looking at Welch's Island so we were watching the whole thing evolve right out of our windows, the search helicoper at night, rescue boats and all. With all of the flashing lights, it was pretty hard to miss it.

We hoped that everything would turn out OK and it did but what a stupid waste of resources, added risk to some very brave rescuers, and more bad media when it could have been 100% avoided.

I'm glad they they are OK, but please throw the book at them if only as an example of not tolerating sledding under the influence !

:clapping: I'm right there with ya! I will never forget when my boyfriend and I were first together and I was telling someone about him and when I told him my bf was a snowmobiler, he replied "Oh! So he's a drunken -----le!" Like it was a statement of fact. He (and almost every other snowmobiler I have met) is neither of those things. (I have met some jerks but I think they're just that way anyhow no matter what their recreational activities!) That's why people like this really tick me off. :angry:
"Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead!" ~Scottish proverb :D

#8 AdrenalineJunky

AdrenalineJunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:vt
  • Club(s):nhsa

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

so, how will they get the sleds out of that depth? pretty deep in the broads aint it?

#9 sled_guy64

sled_guy64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Bridgewater, Rumney, Pittsburg
  • Club(s):Pittsburg Ridge Runners

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

They will dive for it and bring it up with inflatable bags just like a boat. Water at that depth is the same temperature winter or summer. It stays in the mid 30s year round.

2010/2011 1355 miles

2011/2012   845 miles

2012/2013 1420 miles

2013/2014 1461 miles

#10 jhwentworth

jhwentworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Central NH
  • Club(s):NH Sno-Shakers, BeeHole Beavers, Town Line Trail Dusters, Baker River Valley SC, Gilmanton Snowmobile Association

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

They will dive for it and bring it up with inflatable bags just like a boat. Water at that depth is the same temperature winter or summer. It stays in the mid 30s year round.

The water temperature at 112 feet was measured at 57 degrees in August. Winnisquam at 154 feet in August was 50 degrees.

#11 Bilbo

Bilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiling, camping, avid cyclist
  • Favorite Riding Area:Aroostook County Me , Northern NH
  • Club(s):SNTB/ SNHSS

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

http://www.wmur.com/news/30437829/detail.html

Sorry if I sound like a horrible person but it's hard to feel bad for two stupid drunk guys! One of the most selfish things one can do is OUI, in my opinion. The rescuers were endangered, considerable time and resources were expended all because these people made an immature decision.

Reading the OVSC thread yesterday, I saw where everyone was helping out other people. I never even saw coverage of the Ride-In on the news. :( THAT is the stuff that will not make the news, the good snowmobilers do. This sort of idiocy just furthers people thinking snowmobilers are, as a group, boozin' morons. When it is so far from the truth.

I'm so so sorry if you all think I'm terrible but this sort of thing really burns my biscuits! :(

Don't think your terrible at all , you make some good points.

#12 rickzach

rickzach

Rick Zach

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Pretty wide... from guiding sled tours through Quebec to high tech. Work in TV broadcasting. Ham Radio as K1RJZ. Some writing, web authoring and other creative work. 30+ years sledding. It is a gas meeting new people on the trails from remote trappers to passionate weekend sledders. Winter is PEAK season for this family.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

I beleive the fine is $500/day when any motorized vehicles are in the water. It was off of the SE side of Welch's Island which has a dramatically changing water depth. Where they went down is a shoaly area that ranges from 10ft to 213 ft. semi-near blinker light #47 on the charts. I was watching the lights at night so it's anyone's guess exactly where the sleds may be.

#13 Pantera99

Pantera99

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:So. NH mostly. Colebrooke to Border
  • Club(s):( past) So. NH Snoslicker

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

I was recently Told by an aquaintance...that the Scuba guy's ( dive teams ) sit near the shores with a flag..just waiting for someone to come get them to go after a sunkin..sled,boat,car,truck ect only to brin to surface..getting it off the ice is another thing.... and it's $1,000. If they hurry they save the $500 a day add on... no common sense was used in this case I guess.. ..That's alot of fuel, beer wine or what ever to just throw away on stupidity !!!

You would think more people would pay closer attention this year with all the warmer/ wierd weather we have had.. you'd also think that anyone that needed to do a night travel across winni or any ice for that matter..would just park the sled , make a phone call..and get the trailer to get them on the other side... we all have to many friends out there NOT to think twice about that kind of a call..

#14 Rock On

Rock On

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, Groomers, boats
  • Favorite Riding Area:White Mtns. North
  • Club(s):Presidential Range Riders

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

"Reading the OVSC thread yesterday, I saw where everyone was helping out other people. I never even saw coverage of the Ride-In on the news. THAT is the stuff that will not make the news, the good snowmobilers do. This sort of idiocy just furthers people thinking snowmobilers are, as a group, boozin' morons. When it is so far from the truth."

Your are absolutely right MXZ800GIRL Our local paper here in Gorham did not even do a story on the Easter Seals Ride In but they were pretty quick to have on thier front page "Man Dies in Snowmobile Accident in Milan". All these news sources from tv to radio to print are freaking "blood chasers" they do not like to do good stories only bad thats why there is usually only one a night on the nightly news as a rule.
Back a few years ago we were having a hay ride to raise money for our club and unfortunatly somebody gor hurt and an ambulance had to be called in. Of course the local reporters showed up shortly after the ambulance did to cover the injured person. Well me a couple other guys blocked the way and did not let the female reporter into the site or take any pics, we almost got arrested and thier was a big story in the paper about us but not one mention about what the hay ride was all albout, to help the local club to support the community. We also donate to needy familys and give a scholar ship each year to our students, and maintaine the trails to bring business to the area in the winter. (the injured person turned out fine)
Sorry to be so long winded but this really "burns my bisquits as well"

#15 RenegadeGirl

RenegadeGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

I beleive the fine is $500/day when any motorized vehicles are in the water. It was off of the SE side of Welch's Island which has a dramatically changing water depth. Where they went down is a shoaly area that ranges from 10ft to 213 ft. semi-near blinker light #47 on the charts. I was watching the lights at night so it's anyone's guess exactly where the sleds may be.

What if they don't pay the fine? Can they get tossed in the clink for not paying up? That would be grand!!!

I'm currently in a discussion with a gentleman at WMUR about why this does reflect poorly upon snowmobilers. There are a lot of misconceptions about snowmobilers. Same with ice fishing, I've noticed. I have people give me a funny look when I say I do NOT plan to bring any adult refreshments on the ice when I go fishing. Old stick in the mud, that's me! LOL! :yahoo: :rofl:

RockOn, and two of the earlier posts about the Milan crash questioned if the gentleman was impaired and if he was driving recklessly. There's a reason that came to people's minds and it's entirely incorrect. I need to ger off my soapbox about this before I break the box!!! LOL!

Edited by MXZ800Girl, 12 February 2012 - 11:06 PM.

#16 Dark Star

Dark Star

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg
  • Club(s):PRR & SDR

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have an ice fishing trip on March 1 on the lake. was hoping to ride the lake, I guess it might not be in the cards this year.

#17 rickzach

rickzach

Rick Zach

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have an ice fishing trip on March 1 on the lake. was hoping to ride the lake, I guess it might not be in the cards this year.

Maybe yes or no by Mar-1 but absolutely not now.

#18 AdrenalineJunky

AdrenalineJunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:vt
  • Club(s):nhsa

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

I was recently Told by an aquaintance...that the Scuba guy's ( dive teams ) sit near the shores with a flag..just waiting for someone to come get them to go after a sunkin..sled,boat,car,truck ect only to brin to surface..getting it off the ice is another thing.... and it's $1,000. If they hurry they save the $500 a day add on... no common sense was used in this case I guess.. ..That's alot of fuel, beer wine or what ever to just throw away on stupidity !!!

You would think more people would pay closer attention this year with all the warmer/ wierd weather we have had.. you'd also think that anyone that needed to do a night travel across winni or any ice for that matter..would just park the sled , make a phone call..and get the trailer to get them on the other side... we all have to many friends out there NOT to think twice about that kind of a call..

so its about a grand to go hook bags on them.....it must be pitch dark down there, I'm amazed a diver can go 200' or so down in the merks and feel around for a sled. Must be all kinds of crap down there. spooky. :blink:

#19 skully

skully

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:West Southern & Central NH
  • Club(s):Hollis Nor'easters

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

im not sticking up for these guys but where does it mention that they were drunk or drinking ?just wondering where that was found.Rob .....
also now known as ...... Dances With Tracks

#20 Camp Wildlife

Camp Wildlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

im not sticking up for these guys but where does it mention that they were drunk or drinking ?just wondering where that was found.Rob .....

http://www.wmur.com/newsarchive/30437829/detail.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users