ctcrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Burpin'
  • Favorite Riding Area:Burg
  • Club(s):PRR

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:59 AM

Does anyone know of spots to pickup cell service (att&t) in Pittsburg area, either by sled or car? Also, internet service?

#2 OldViperRider

OldViperRider

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  • Interests:Amateur Radio
    Target Shooting (all kinds)
    Fly Fishing
  • Favorite Riding Area:NH, ME & Quebec
  • Club(s):Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:04 AM

Does anyone know of spots to pickup cell service (att&t) in Pittsburg area, either by sled or car? Also, internet service?

Diamond Ridge by sled. Colebrook by car. Most of the lodges have Internet access.

Mark :drinks:

Ride Early, Ride Often! Mark a.k.a. OVR, Opa & OF-1
Mileage: 13-14 (1022); 12-13 (228); 11-12 (629); 10-11 (3,115)

In the Moose, Snowmobile and ATV
Capital of New England.
Located in New Hampshire's GREAT NORTH WOODS.

My Clubs: Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club Inc. | Great North Woods Riders ATV Club Inc.

#3 Diesel Racer

Diesel Racer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg, NH. to Berlin area
  • Club(s):Nor'Easters

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:06 AM

As of March 1st last year Unicel was GSM (the same as At&T and Cingular and Sprint) and has since been bought out by Verizon and they are CDMA 3G like U.S.Cellularand most other carriers, So No there is not any GSM in the north country. If you jump on top of a moutain top you will get Bell Mobility out of Canada and it is $3.50 / minute and they charge you twice for each call minute, you will see an outgoing call and then a Canadian Ph# which is the phone line you are using leaving the tower site.

Tim

#4 OldViperRider

OldViperRider

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
    Fly Fishing

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:32 AM

As of March 1st last year Unicel was GSM (the same as At&T and Cingular and Sprint) and has since been bought out by Verizon and they are CDMA 3G like U.S.Cellularand most other carriers, So No there is not any GSM in the north country. If you jump on top of a moutain top you will get Bell Mobility out of Canada and it is $3.50 / minute and they charge you twice for each call minute, you will see an outgoing call and then a Canadian Ph# which is the phone line you are using leaving the tower site.

Tim

My A.T.&T. cell phone works just fine on Diamond Ridge and in Colebrook.

Capital of New England.

My Clubs: Pittsburg Ridge Runners Snowmobile Club Inc. | Great North Woods Riders ATV Club Inc.

#5 Skip

Skip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts
  • Interests:Sleddin', Boatin', Politicin'
  • Favorite Riding Area:OVSC/Scrub Oaks
  • Club(s):OVSC

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

My A.T.&T. cell phone works just fine on Diamond Ridge and in Colebrook.

Same as you Mark with my Verizon phone, full service (American) on Diamond Ridge and a number of high spots throughout the Pittsburg system. Also good service at the Balsams, Colebrook area and from Errol on south.

Please, join a Club where you regularly ride...and when you see a Groomer Jar hopefully give what you can as every penny counts!

#6 dualmass

dualmass

the Romanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Interests:Muay Thai Boxing
    Brazilian JuJitsu
    American Submission Grappling
    Getting beat up on
    Snowshoeing
    Outdoors
    Surfing
    My Family!
    Anything that makes my heart beat at 170 bpm or higher
  • Favorite Riding Area:Stub Hill
  • Club(s):PPR

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:42 AM

Pet Pev people: talking on cell phones on diamond ridge, :wacko:
http://www.autorepairbrick.com/

http://reviews.custo...auto-care-brick

#7 Old Thumper

Old Thumper

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Interests:Sledding & Sportbikes
    Motorcycle Roadracing
    NHRA & F1
    Red Sox
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg
  • Club(s):PRR & OVSC

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Pet Pev people: talking on cell phones on diamond ridge, :wacko:

But they're crucial conversations....
"What're you doing?"
"Oh not much, what are you doing?"

:rofl:

O-Thump aka OF2

'10/'11 Season - 2088 miles
'11/'12 Season - 1234 miles

'12/'13 Season - 2108 miles

'13/'14 Season - 1527 miles

#8 Skip

Skip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

But they're crucial conversations....
"What're you doing?"
"Oh not much, what are you doing?"

:rofl:

Actually I am thrilled to see those people up there on their phones taking pictures, videos or bragging to friends & family where they are. Those are the folks that buy the meals, the gas, rent the hotel/motel rooms and help keep the economy afloat up there in the dead of winter.... :good:

Please, join a Club where you regularly ride...and when you see a Groomer Jar hopefully give what you can as every penny counts!

#9 NYSKIDOOERINNEWHAMPSHIRE

NYSKIDOOERINNEWHAMPSHIRE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling Ski-Doo, Motorcycling-HD, ATV'ng-Can-Am-
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg NH
  • Club(s):PRR,SDR,Great North Woods Riders ATV Club

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

I for one enjoy the "lack of cellular" coverage. I recognize I am being selfish, but I hope the north country is not the recipient of cell coverage to include ugly artificial cell towers dotting the beautiful landscape. I enjoy leaving my home and travelling to the N.C. where I don't have to answer the cell phone everyother minute.

Having opined and admit my selfishness, I recognize those residing in the N.C. may appreciate having cell coverage as I do 24 x 7 living far south of the N.C.

Think SNOW!

Edited by NYSKIDOOERINNEWHAMPSHIRE, 12 February 2010 - 01:28 PM.

Paddy O

#10 dualmass

dualmass

the Romanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
    Brazilian JuJitsu
    Getting beat up on
    Snowshoeing
    Outdoors
    Surfing
    My Family!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

Is that what it takes to "thrill" you Skip!? :lol:

nothing beats talking to the people that are right there with you, especially if you don't even know them....

Edited by dualmass, 12 February 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#11 Skip

Skip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

Is that what it takes to "thrill" you Skip!? :lol:

nothing beats talking to the people that are right there with you, especially if you don't even know them....

Yes...it does thrill me.

Last weekend I went to the top of Diamond with a group of people that had never been there. Most of them took pictures, whipped out their cell phones and called a friend or family member and told them about the view and the ride and then they mingled with everyone else up on top.

Doesn't bother me a bit if someone else finds doing something different then perhaps what I would do trips their trigger.

I was thrilled to see a bunch of good folks discovering a new and exciting place and being excited enough to want to share it immediately with someone else not as fortunate to be there... :good:

#12 dualmass

dualmass

the Romanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
    Brazilian JuJitsu
    Getting beat up on
    Snowshoeing
    Outdoors
    Surfing
    My Family!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

It is a really cool place, i made a facebook page devoted to it,
http://www.facebook....09125221?ref=ts

#13 Skip

Skip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

That's awesome Chris.... :good:

#14 rneal55555

rneal55555

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles (DUH), Motorcycles, Scuba
  • Favorite Riding Area:Milton Area
  • Club(s):Evergreen Valley

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

I for one enjoy the "lack of cellular" coverage. I recognize I am being selfish, but I hope the north country is not the recipient of cell coverage to include ugly artificial cell towers dotting the beautiful landscape. I enjoy leaving my home and travelling to the N.C. where I don't have to answer the cell phone everyother minute.

Having opined and admit my selfishness, I recognize those residing in the N.C. may appreciate having cell coverage as I do 24 x 7 living far south of the N.C.

Think SNOW!

Especially when something like this happens

From the Press Republican Plattsburg, NY

One dead, one hurt after I-87 wreck: Couple stranded in frigid cold after accident
Written by LOHR McKINSTRY, Staff Writer
Saturday, January 27, 2007

NORTH HUDSON A Brooklyn man died and his wife suffered serious injuries after their car crashed off the Northway early Thursday morning and lay hidden from view until around 10 a.m. Friday.
The woman tried to summon help by cell phone, but no coverage was available.
At 1 a.m. Thursday, the couple went through the U.S. Border Patrol checkpoint in North Hudson on I-87 southbound, telling Border Patrol agents they were returning from a wedding in Montreal.
At 9:53 a.m. Friday, they were found in their car after having driven off the highway near mile marker 105 in the Town of North Hudson, according to State Police in Ray Brook.
The couple's family began calling State Police Friday morning saying that the two failed to return home.
A search began and Westport-based State Police and an off-duty officer located the car.
Essex County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said the officers saw a glint in the woods.
"The couple were in the vehicle. They attempted to dial 911 on a cell phone and there was no coverage," Jaquish said.
The car a maroon 1989 Lincoln Town Car was located and its driver Alfred B. Langner, 63, was found dead.
His wife, Barbara P. Langner, 58, was found conscious in the vehicle.
She was suffering from lower back and cold-related injuries.
Mrs. Langner was first taken by Schroon Lake ambulance to Elizabethtown Community Hospital before being transferred to Fletcher Allen Health Care in Burlington.
Mr. Langner's body was taken to CVPH Medical Center for examination.
State Police were still investigating the accident Friday night and could not provide further details.
The section of Northway they were on is very remote, Jaquish said.
"They need to get some cell phone coverage. That area through there is even more dangerous because there's no coverage there."
Elizabethtown-Lewis Ambulance Squad officer Patty Bashaw said she was called to the location because an advanced life-support technician was needed.
Schroon Lake Ambulance had gotten a call that the crash was one mile north of exit 29 southbound, Bashaw said.
"It was a really old car. Between 2 and 3 a.m. they had the car wreck," Bashaw said. "The car went airborne. It landed on its wheels behind a huge rock and took down some trees."
She said she can't be certain, but he might have lived had they gotten to him sooner.
"It (the car) was totally not visible to a trooper doing patrols. Schroon Lake gets the call at five minutes to 10 this (Friday) morning. Her husband stopped talking to her at 3 yesterday (Thursday) afternoon. He lived for at least 13 hours. He tried to get out of the car but couldn't. He died."
The couple was not found until about 32 hours after the accident occurred.
Mr. Langner was a retired EMT.
"This is just ridiculous," Bashaw said. "If there had been cell phone coverage when the accident occurred someone could have been dispatched to at least give them a fighting chance."
"The first three letters of the vehicle's licence plate were EMT, so it really hits home."
"I understand living up here and things being what they are. There has to be a compromise between what the APA (Adirondack Park Agency) wants to do and the safety of people traveling up here.
"Something definitely needs to happen. This is not right."
The woman's feet were frozen, Bashaw said.
"At least she had some protective clothing. She had earmuffs, a down-filled coat. She was immobile because of a back injury."
Contributing Writer Mark Misiak and Assistant News Editor Anna Jolly added to this story.

Edited by rneal55555, 12 February 2010 - 07:08 PM.

Russ Neal<br />Milton, NH<br />Originally from Willsboro, NY<br />2001 Arctic Cat ZR800<br />2002 Arctic Cat 4 Stroke Touring<br />2003 Arctic Cat Z570 ESR<br /><br /><a href='http://www.evergreenvalley.org/'>Evergreen Valley Snowmobile Club</a>

#15 KillerBee04

KillerBee04

Doo-Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Sleddin & Tournament Bass Fishing!
  • Favorite Riding Area:Northern N.H.

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

I agree, got some pics from there on my facebook also! BEAUTIFUL spot!! Almost don't want to share it with others. But understand Skips point!

Looking at your pic i see you are into the arts, MMA?
SKI-DOO-BEE

#16 OldViperRider

OldViperRider

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
    Fly Fishing

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

I agree, got some pics from there on my facebook also! BEAUTIFUL spot!! Almost don't want to share it with others. But understand Skips point!

Yes he is!

I can tell you from personal experience; Chris is definitely the one to have along when the going gets steep and deep. :good:

Chris, remember the trip to Lac Megantic with the ladies; just after the 16" snowfall with 3 to 4 feet of powder just off the trail? One of my memorable trips with you. :yahoo:

Capital of New England.

#17 dualmass

dualmass

the Romanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
    Brazilian JuJitsu
    Getting beat up on
    Snowshoeing
    Outdoors
    Surfing
    My Family!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

I was training MMA for a few years and about two years ago i took the gloves off and now concentrate on BJJ and Judo with some wrestling, I train about 8 or 9 times a week, i am completely addicted, had over 1000 live matches in 2009, and 7 tournaments < i am very lucky to help fighters prepare for fights, I am kinda like a practice dummy, LOL!

Yes he is!

I can tell you from personal experience; Chris is definitely the one to have along when the going gets steep and deep. :good:

Chris, remember the trip to Lac Megantic with the ladies; just after the 16" snowfall with 3 to 4 feet of powder just off the trail? One of my memorable trips with you. :yahoo:

That trip was a good workout, I remember the last road crossing, it was sooo tough!
We did pretty good considering the snow depth, That trip "certified" us as Hardcore riders, have you been up there this yet?

#18 OldViperRider

OldViperRider

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
    Fly Fishing

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

That trip was a good workout, I remember the last road crossing, it was sooo tough!
We did pretty good considering the snow depth, That trip "certified" us as Hardcore riders, have you been up there this yet?

Not yet. If the snow cover around the Gaspesie doesn't improve in the next few weeks a trip up there will be a definite possibility.

Capital of New England.

#19 kenpaul

kenpaul

KP9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:PRR/SDR
  • Club(s):PRR

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:34 PM

if you go east of Rt 3 when you cross by the warming hut and keep going and go by the trail to boundry pond, go about a mile and there is a little opening that has great service. Its probaly about a tenth of a mile before you get to the junction of 20 and the trail to maine...

Also there is okay service behind spruce cone cabins where it has all been cleared...

#20 KillerBee04

KillerBee04

Doo-Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Sleddin & Tournament Bass Fishing!
  • Favorite Riding Area:Northern N.H.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:37 AM

[quote name='dualmass' date='Feb 12 2010, 09:45 PM' post='50424']
I was training MMA for a few years and about two years ago i took the gloves off and now concentrate on BJJ and Judo with some wrestling, I train about 8 or 9 times a week, i am completely addicted, had over 1000 live matches in 2009, and 7 tournaments < i am very lucky to help fighters prepare for fights, I am kinda like a practice dummy, LOL!

I've been addicted since its inception UFC 1 when my wife worked nights i would run out to rent the latest "Tape", I know,,,showing my age,,home with the kids
and all! sorry to get off topic here but MMA is definitely something i am passionate about! Truest form of fighting to me! Grace in the beginning,when there
were no weight classes was unbelievable!! seeing it evolve to what it is today has been fun to follow!

Good luck in the future and keep your head down!!
SKI-DOO-BEE

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users