23 replies to this topic

#1 MadRam

MadRam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Errol

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

So I had my first engine trouble today and had to take the sled to the dealer to be checked. Mechanic mentions to me that the ethanol in gas is reaking havoc on snowmobile engines. I have heard others blaming blown engines and other problems on ethanol. Is anyone aware of any non-ethanol gas stations in NH? I can't find any. Hopefully that's not my problem, but thought I would check if anyone knows of any ethanol free fuel sources.

#2 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Interests:boatn sledn groomn
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg, Colebrook, Stewartstown
  • Club(s):SOS, OVSC,

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

So I had my first engine trouble today and had to take the sled to the dealer to be checked. Mechanic mentions to me that the ethanol in gas is reaking havoc on snowmobile engines. I have heard others blaming blown engines and other problems on ethanol. Is anyone aware of any non-ethanol gas stations in NH? I can't find any. Hopefully that's not my problem, but thought I would check if anyone knows of any ethanol free fuel sources.

Yes, but we're closed till April. Pick up some startron or stabil marine and use the highest octane fuel you can find.
"Never trust a beer you can see through"

#3 triple

triple

JPP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:OVSC and SOS trail system
  • Club(s):OVSC

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

I get all my gas at a local Sunoco and it does not advertise 10% Ethanol. I'm under the impression that the stations have to advertise the ethanol if they carry it...I hope I'm wrong because I avoid the ethanol like the plague. I also keep my sled right at 7500 rpms for most of my riding and no problems thus far in 1000 miles.
2006/2007 mileage..639
2007/2008 mileage..1649
2008/2009 mileage..1475

2009/2010 mileage..30

#4 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I get all my gas at a local Sunoco and it does not advertise 10% Ethanol. I'm under the impression that the stations have to advertise the ethanol if they carry it...I hope I'm wrong because I avoid the ethanol like the plague. I also keep my sled right at 7500 rpms for most of my riding and no problems thus far in 1000 miles.

In Madison?

#5 triple

triple

JPP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

In Madison?

Yep. Let me guess...ethanol?
2006/2007 mileage..639
2007/2008 mileage..1649
2008/2009 mileage..1475

2009/2010 mileage..30

#6 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Yep. Let me guess...ethanol?

I guess I really didn't look, but more than likely. Great if it doesn't, it's right on the new and improved trail. What has me nervous is the bare shelves and the new sign on the pumps stating no credit cards. I hope they're sticking around!

#7 triple

triple

JPP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I guess I really didn't look, but more than likely. Great if it doesn't, it's right on the new and improved trail. What has me nervous is the bare shelves and the new sign on the pumps stating no credit cards. I hope they're sticking around!

I used a credit/debit card there earlier today. Any truth to the 10% being advertised? Anyone?
2006/2007 mileage..639
2007/2008 mileage..1649
2008/2009 mileage..1475

2009/2010 mileage..30

#8 Tim

Tim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

I used a credit/debit card there earlier today. Any truth to the 10% being advertised? Anyone?

Yes, they HAVE to advertise. Good to here on the credit card thing, must have had technical difficulties.

#9 triple

triple

JPP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:15 PM

Yes, they HAVE to advertise. Good to here on the credit card thing, must have had technical difficulties.

:good:
2006/2007 mileage..639
2007/2008 mileage..1649
2008/2009 mileage..1475

2009/2010 mileage..30

#10 The Toolman

The Toolman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Freedom
  • Club(s):SOS

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

You mean the place where they park trucks in front of the trail half the time, and won't donate to the club fundraisers at all just like Mcdonalds.

#11 jhwentworth

jhwentworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Central NH
  • Club(s):NH Sno-Shakers, BeeHole Beavers, Town Line Trail Dusters, Baker River Valley SC, Gilmanton Snowmobile Association

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

From the NH DES at http://des.nh.gov/or...ents/ard-29.pdf

While there is no specific requirement, DES and other state agencies are recommending that
pumps be labeled appropriately to disclose the presence of ethanol blended gasoline. If in doubt,
ask the station manager or operator

#12 triple

triple

JPP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

You mean the place where they park trucks in front of the trail half the time, and won't donate to the club fundraisers at all just like Mcdonalds.

I only get gas there..$12 for a 12 pack of bud light is out of hand.
2006/2007 mileage..639
2007/2008 mileage..1649
2008/2009 mileage..1475

2009/2010 mileage..30

#13 jhwentworth

jhwentworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Club(s):NH Sno-Shakers, BeeHole Beavers, Town Line Trail Dusters, Baker River Valley SC, Gilmanton Snowmobile Association

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

NH law mandates reformulated gas (RFG) in 4 southern counties: Merrimack, Hillsborough, Rockingham, and Strafford. MBTE is now illegal so, ethanol is used to provide additional oxygen to the fuel. It's legal to sell non-RFG in the rest of the state, but many stations have elected to go with the RFG for reasons of price or availability.

Anything built since the 1980's should handle ethanol fuel. Remember that this is our second time around with "gasohol"; it was sold here in the early 1980's. I've seen more problems with the stuff in the summer when humidity is high. The alcohol will absorb water from the air then if the container is vented. On a hot and humid summer day pour a couple tablespoons of gasohol in a dish and wait about 5-10 minutes: the fuel will be the color of skim milk. Long storage of gasohol doesn't seem to work very well, and products like Stabil will help but will not prevent separation if enough water is in the fuel. Alcohol is an excellent solvent, and does a great job of cleaning fuel tanks and fuel lines. Unfortunately, the junk all heads for your carbs. If you have an older sled and have just switched from regular gas to RFG fuel you should keep a good eye on the fuel filters.

My Arctic Cat manual says that fuel can contain up to 10% ethanol, but that the main jet must be one size larger than the jet required for regular gasoline. I figure that stock main jets are pretty fat, so I've left the stock jet in there. The jetting restriction obviously wouldn't apply to EFI models.

My experience has been that sometimes ethanol is blamed for engine problems when the "expert" either doesn't know the reason for the problem or doesn't want to admit it.

#14 Pantera99

Pantera99

Advanced Member

• Old Fart
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:So. NH mostly. Colebrooke to Border
  • Club(s):( past) So. NH Snoslicker

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

Touche' ... in a way I have to agree with JH W. ... been running sleds since early 60's and the latest being the 03 F7 ( ya its EFI ) but my 2000' 440 and 99' Pantera 800 triple isn't ... ( of latest models here at the Ranch ) ...Most times they are what was set up by the Factory... no add on's or anything like that and they run fine ... I do use the highest I can get for Octane at the pump thats available. I have never seen a blown motor because of fuel ... but more so because the oil wasn't getting to the pistons sleves and cooking them or expanding the rings so much they expand and score thus siezing a motor would be the result...a hole in the piston could be a material cast issue of fatigue.
Now this is on orginal equipment & motor that I have had no problems with.... I can't really comment on a rebuilt as I have never needed one.. Just my 2 cents...

#15 Penelope

Penelope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Errol & Southern NH
  • Club(s):SNHSS

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

NH law mandates reformulated gas (RFG) in 4 southern counties: Merrimack, Hillsborough, Rockingham, and Strafford. MBTE is now illegal so, ethanol is used to provide additional oxygen to the fuel. It's legal to sell non-RFG in the rest of the state, but many stations have elected to go with the RFG for reasons of price or availability.

Anything built since the 1980's should handle ethanol fuel. Remember that this is our second time around with "gasohol"; it was sold here in the early 1980's. I've seen more problems with the stuff in the summer when humidity is high. The alcohol will absorb water from the air then if the container is vented. On a hot and humid summer day pour a couple tablespoons of gasohol in a dish and wait about 5-10 minutes: the fuel will be the color of skim milk. Long storage of gasohol doesn't seem to work very well, and products like Stabil will help but will not prevent separation if enough water is in the fuel. Alcohol is an excellent solvent, and does a great job of cleaning fuel tanks and fuel lines. Unfortunately, the junk all heads for your carbs. If you have an older sled and have just switched from regular gas to RFG fuel you should keep a good eye on the fuel filters.

My Arctic Cat manual says that fuel can contain up to 10% ethanol, but that the main jet must be one size larger than the jet required for regular gasoline. I figure that stock main jets are pretty fat, so I've left the stock jet in there. The jetting restriction obviously wouldn't apply to EFI models.

My experience has been that sometimes ethanol is blamed for engine problems when the "expert" either doesn't know the reason for the problem or doesn't want to admit it.

Yet, when we got gas in TIlton and Errol, the pumps said 10% ethanol. My husband has been adding the Stabil to both of our sleds. THe other thing he noticed is that at some stations the premium gas is only 91 octane not 93.

#16 jhwentworth

jhwentworth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

Yet, when we got gas in TIlton and Errol, the pumps said 10% ethanol. My husband has been adding the Stabil to both of our sleds. THe other thing he noticed is that at some stations the premium gas is only 91 octane not 93.

Yes, that's pretty common even in the north country. I live in Merrimack County, and when the gasohol (RFG) was first mandated some residents would travel north to Belknap County to buy regular gas, but now most stations in Belknap County sell gasohol. The dealers are forced to buy what the distributor will provide.

Do you buy your gasoline in Errol at the "Home of the Mooseburger"?

#17 Penelope

Penelope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Errol & Southern NH
  • Club(s):SNHSS

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

Yes, that's pretty common even in the north country. I live in Merrimack County, and when the gasohol (RFG) was first mandated some residents would travel north to Belknap County to buy regular gas, but now most stations in Belknap County sell gasohol. The dealers are forced to buy what the distributor will provide.

Do you buy your gasoline in Errol at the "Home of the Mooseburger"?

We tried to get some at Cote's, but that was the day hubby's sled decided to die, carbs needed cleaning!!!!! Which got done as soon as we got home.

#18 Rad8165

Rad8165

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:SouthernNH,North and Maine!
  • Club(s):OVSC,Northwood Crankpullers!

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:25 PM

Jackman Maine, even had the crap!

#19 ski-doo#!

ski-doo#!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles atving hiking hunting and fishing
  • Favorite Riding Area:new hampshier/ errol
  • Club(s):weare winter wanderers

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

I wish they would make the old gas this stuff has made me need new carb boots :sad:

#20 Rad8165

Rad8165

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:SouthernNH,North and Maine!
  • Club(s):OVSC,Northwood Crankpullers!

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I wish they would make the old gas this stuff has made me need new carb boots :sad:

At least you saw the bad boots and didn't end up with a meltdown!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users