#1 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Coos County

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:12 AM

My 38 year old cousin, Jeff, who is also one of my best friends, was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. He is a father of two and also a grandfather of two. Anyone that knows Jeff knows that he would not accept any hand outs or things like that.

As I swallowed the news of how much his life would be changing instantly, I sat there with my hands tied wondering what to do. I decided to put out the idea of having a benefit for him. Myself, My wife, my brother, and the rest of the family are now working towards putting this benefit together.

Jeff is in the middle of a 6 week DAILY treatment of radiation therapy as well as daily kemo treatment. He has a tube inserted into his chest and has to carrying a kemo pump with him that injects the kemo radiation into him through out the day. In light of this double duty regime of treatment, he has become to sick to be able to work. This makes this benefit that much more important. After the 6 week course of radiation and kemo Jeff will be having surgery to remove what is left of the tumor. Not knowing what will come of this, Jeff’s life will never be the same.

We have a DJ that is going to donate their time to play during the benefit and possibly also a band. We’re currently working on getting a hall, and the rest of the things to make this a successful event.

We’re going to have a raffle the night of the benefit and are in need of some ideas for prizes for the raffle? Some of you that have your thinkers cap on – what are some great raffle items that make the selling of tickets easier?

I thought of coming up with a cord of wood, a painted moose antler, maybe a home made cribbage board… But what else? I’m guess I should just start asking some of the local business’? Is this how its done?
Thanks in advance for the ideas!

#2 wigga

wigga

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:pitts/que/maine
  • Club(s):Pittsburg Ridge Runners

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

My 38 year old cousin, Jeff, who is also one of my best friends, was recently diagnosed with colon cancer. He is a father of two and also a grandfather of two. Anyone that knows Jeff knows that he would not accept any hand outs or things like that.

As I swallowed the news of how much his life would be changing instantly, I sat there with my hands tied wondering what to do. I decided to put out the idea of having a benefit for him. Myself, My wife, my brother, and the rest of the family are now working towards putting this benefit together.

Jeff is in the middle of a 6 week DAILY treatment of radiation therapy as well as daily kemo treatment. He has a tube inserted into his chest and has to carrying a kemo pump with him that injects the kemo radiation into him through out the day. In light of this double duty regime of treatment, he has become to sick to be able to work. This makes this benefit that much more important. After the 6 week course of radiation and kemo Jeff will be having surgery to remove what is left of the tumor. Not knowing what will come of this, Jeff’s life will never be the same.

We have a DJ that is going to donate their time to play during the benefit and possibly also a band. We’re currently working on getting a hall, and the rest of the things to make this a successful event.

We’re going to have a raffle the night of the benefit and are in need of some ideas for prizes for the raffle? Some of you that have your thinkers cap on – what are some great raffle items that make the selling of tickets easier?

I thought of coming up with a cord of wood, a painted moose antler, maybe a home made cribbage board… But what else? I’m guess I should just start asking some of the local business’? Is this how its done?
Thanks in advance for the ideas!

I have a $$$ waiting, what's the Paypal address.

As long as it's legit, I think the power of some of the sled sites will work with or without the raffle. Jeff

Edited by wigga, 17 September 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#3 Mainecat

Mainecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Favorite Riding Area:Maine and NH
  • Club(s):Rangeley Lakes Snowmobile Club

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

As long as it's legit, I think the power of some of the sled sites will work with or without the raffle. Jeff

Sorry to hear the news...attitude is everything battling cancer.
Paypal works best for donations.

#4 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:40 AM

WOW I wasn't even thinking about that angle. Doing this type of thing is all new to me.

Can someone tell me how to go about setting up this paypal thing? I will research it some today and this weekend but I've never done this.

I also had a thought of contacting a radio station to see if they could donate tickets to some event or something - has anyone had any luck doing that sort of thing?

#5 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

OK a couple of dumb questions for those that know.. How do I set up a paypal for someone else with out them knowing? Or is this not possible? I was reading the attached link and it looks like I need to attach this to an bank account.. Or do you attach it to your own and then just with draw the money as it comes in?

http://www.dummies.c...le.id-2976.html

Financial Information: You can change the credit cards or bank accounts associated with your PayPal account, set up online bill paying, see your account balances, redeem gift certificates, and more. The options that are available are dependent upon the type of account that you have.

#6 wigga

wigga

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

OK a couple of dumb questions for those that know.. How do I set up a paypal for someone else with out them knowing? Or is this not possible? I was reading the attached link and it looks like I need to attach this to an bank account.. Or do you attach it to your own and then just with draw the money as it comes in?

http://www.dummies.c...le.id-2976.html

Financial Information: You can change the credit cards or bank accounts associated with your PayPal account, set up online bill paying, see your account balances, redeem gift certificates, and more. The options that are available are dependent upon the type of account that you have.

Just open up a new account with the bank and put that on paypal.

#7 polaris600xcsp

polaris600xcsp

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, four wheeling and most of all spending time with my 3 boys (Franklin, Danny and Benjamin)...
  • Favorite Riding Area:Walpole NH/Lancaster NH
  • Club(s):Hooper Hill Hoppers Walpole NH

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

God point Jeff!!! This way you dont have to worry about your personal (or anyone elses accounts) being involved!!! Also if you set up a seperate account you should be able to post the mailing address for the bank and people can send checks to the bank care of the fundraiser name and they will put it into the account for you as well!!!

Swankzr you are right that checking with local stores is a great way to get door prizes and raffle items...

Also what town is the dance going to take place??? (Post as soon as you know and people from the site/sites maybe able to attend)...

Good luck to your cousin, his family and everyone involved!!!

Edited by polaris600xcsp, 19 September 2008 - 05:33 AM.

COME ON MOTHER NATURE LET IT SNOW!!!

#8 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm going to the bank today to setup a seperate account and see what options they have with accounts like this - then I will tie it to the paypal thing.

We're also setting up a website that will list the raffle items, entertainment, food, benefit info, etc.. I think I will be able to tie the paypal to the site also but not sure..

Also making some head way on raffle items - so far we have:

Brand new electric acoustic guitar donated by:“Musician's Junkyard” Springfield VT 802-885- 6262 Denny Coleman of the guitar b-q- band

Cord of wood donated by:Keith

5 - $50 gas cards donated by: Paully from Shamrock Motors

$100 Gift Cert for Oil donated by:Dan Bosworth & Lisa Tepin

Painted moose antler

$30 gift certificate to Eddy's restaurant donated by: Kelly & Jason

??box of items coming from Tim Mitchell http://mitchelltees.com/

$10 gift certificate donated by: Pogo Pony

:yahoo:

#9 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:33 PM

God point Jeff!!! This way you dont have to worry about your personal (or anyone elses accounts) being involved!!! Also if you set up a seperate account you should be able to post the mailing address for the bank and people can send checks to the bank care of the fundraiser name and they will put it into the account for you as well!!!

Swankzr you are right that checking with local stores is a great way to get door prizes and raffle items...

Also what town is the dance going to take place??? (Post as soon as you know and people from the site/sites maybe able to attend)...

Good luck to your cousin, his family and everyone involved!!!

Thank you for this information. I went to the bank and setup an account as you mentioned. We now have an account that people can donate directly to if they do not want to go through paypal. They can mail a check to any Workers' Credit Union location and make the check out to:
"Jeff Swan Cancer Fund"
https://www.wcu.com
Workers' Credit Union
PO Box 900
815 Main Street
Fitchburg MA 01420-0900
My wife and I are also setting up a website to keep track of the raffle prizes as well as for helping to sell benefit tickets so this information as well as the paypal link will be put there as well as on here once I set that up either tonight or tomorrow.
When we have the website up and running I will send out the address as well. Thanks again for all of the ideas! :drinks:

#10 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Here's the link to the website we set up: http://jeffswan.synt...e.com/index.php

How do I link a paypal account to this? Anyone know?

I set up a paypal to the "Jeff Swan Cancer Fund" account I setup but I am having a brain fart moment on what or how do I get the address for the paypal?

#11 wigga

wigga

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

When you set up the account with your email address just add your email to the site.

#12 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

When you set up the account with your email address just add your email to the site.

So my e-mail address that I set the pay pal up with was swankzr@hotmail.com - so I just list this adress as the paypal account address? Or am I not getting this?

#13 wigga

wigga

Advanced Member

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Yes.

I just Paypaled you some support for Jeffrey and family.

Edited by wigga, 22 September 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#14 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

Thank you! :drinks:

#15 ct_skidoo

ct_skidoo

ct_skidoo2 on HCS

• Contact List
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, ATV's, Motorcycles, Fishing, Hunting, Flying. Amateur weather enthusiast. Sporting Clays.
  • Favorite Riding Area:Pittsburg NH

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

I hope Jeff responds well to the treatments and beats the cancer.
PRRSC Trail Patrol Member and Events and Project Coordinator.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 swankzr

swankzr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

If you haven't checked out the website lately for the additonal items that have been added recently -

http://jeffswan.synthasite.com

We have several Recently added raffle items such as a pair of tickets to Pair of tickets to Louden NASCAR Race next 6/28/2009, $120 dollar Pair of Brooks Brothers polarized sunglasses, gift certificates to the 99, blockbuster, and also a couple of Pampered Chef items.

I've also received t-shirts we had designed by my wife and printed through a friend of mine for sale and hope to have real pictures of them listed on the website soon. There is a general layout picture up there right now... A steal at only $10 bucks..

And the latest information - in addition to a DJ we now also have a band donating their time to play at the Benefit! If you want to see the band ahead of time here is their schedule for October:

Little Willie & The Guitar-B-Que Band Schedule For October 2008

October 11th--Christopher's--Ludlow, VT 9-1

October 24th--KJ'S--North Springfield,VT 9-1

October 25th--Corner Pub--Athol, MA 8:30-12:30

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users